Recirculating hops through a plate chiller??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bisco_Ben

Reaction score
So I brew on a 3 BBL HERMS system at the moment and am equipped with I believe the Duda Diesel 60 plate chiller. I don't remember exactly which one but it is probably the biggest one they offer considering the size of the system it is built into. I am currently trying to figure out how to get my whirlpool/hop-stand temps down into the 170-180 range with beers that had kettle hop additions. I have had success with beers that were only hopped in the whirlpool tank, but I would like to be able to chill the kettle down to this range recirculating through the chiller with hops being in the kettle. Do you all think that this will clog my chiller? Looking for some insight before I give it a go and possibly screw up a brew.

I use a Duda chiller also but I use a hop sack for kettle additions, might not be practical for a 3BBL size batch, although Anchor uses giant zippered hop sacks for some of their dry hopping.

I don't think I would use my plate chiller without a hop sack, just too much debris even with a good whirlpool

Don't run hops through the chiller unfiltered. Get a filter to prevent hops from passing through the chiller. Otherwise you may have difficulties sanitizing later. I accidentally had hops pass through my chiller and it took a long time to try and flush the hops out and never got them all. Buy a bazooka filter or something similar.

About every 3 batches I bake my chiller for an hour at 400F in the oven then back flush with caustic (4% NaOH), still get a few flakes out of it.....I always do a caustic back flush for 15 minutes after brewing. Duda sells pure NaOH at a reasonable price.

EDIT: But I never use loose hops/pellets in the kettle without a fine mesh bag.

I don't remember exactly which one but it is probably the biggest one they offer

Hahahaha, that's not even a fifth of the size of the biggest one we offer.

But in seriousness, hopping on here to agree with everyone else. Use a hops bag, or the strainer over at Brewer's Hardware makes that FoxPaw linked

Thanks for the incredibly professional response duda. I'll be sure to keep that in mind as we plan for expansion and shop for a new heat exchanger...

Back