Recirculate the mash or not

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eastbaybrewer

Reaction score
I just got a 16 gallon ss mash tun. I plan on using it as a direct fire mash tun. Is it worth adding a pump and recirculating the mash?

I just got a 16 gallon ss mash tun. I plan on using it as a direct fire mash tun. Is it worth adding a pump and recirculating the mash?

How do you plan to lauter?

most who recirculate are using a RIMS or HERMS system, which can heat the wort fairly evenly. If you heat the bottom of the mash tun, I'm not sure you won't get some stratification as the wort gets pulled off to one side. Basically it depends on the flow of the wort across the heat source.

I think it's worth a try. Maybe others have done this. I know some BIAB brewers recirculate. I assume they heat that way for the most part.

I do this in my 25 gallon system, there definitely is some stratification as is evident by me probing the mash with a thermopen. HOWEVER, it did increase my overall efficiency, and I personally just felt super cool recirculating mash for whatever reason.

I have a rims to maintain temps and direct fire for step mashs. I receric the whole time.

If you are going to direct fire by adding heat to the bottom of the kettle, I would think that recirculating would almost be necessary, or at least stirring well any time heat is added, to even out the temperature through the grain bed. Otherwise the bottom could be very hot, the rising heat will give you a middle temperature at the thermometer, and colder on top. Or if you are measuring with a probe from the top you will be quite a bit too warm on the bottom by the time the top is at mash temp.

If you are going to direct fire by adding heat to the bottom of the kettle, I would think that recirculating would almost be necessary, or at least stirring well any time heat is added, to even out the temperature through the grain bed. Otherwise the bottom could be very hot, the rising heat will give you a middle temperature at the thermometer, and colder on top. Or if you are measuring with a probe from the top you will be quite a bit too warm on the bottom by the time the top is at mash temp.

Good point. I was thinking for adding heat if needed and stiring, but it would be a pain in rear I think.

Back