Recipes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JMass

Reaction score
I know this is a hop forum, but do you find yourself looking for recipes based on the hops you have? I hate to buy hops when I have my own. I also have made wet hop beer in the past and have also substituted my hops for others in recipes. No one has complained, so I guess it has been alright.

I usually have more cascade hops than I can use. Fortunately, many recipes use this hop. My other hops are:
Willamette,
Hallertau,
Golding and
Sterling.

Seeing as they are getting ready to pick soon, I will be looking for recipes using these hops.

The other option is to experiment using what I have. I have heard of a brew club that just dumps in a bunch of hops when they brew and sees what comes out.

I do not compete and do not aim to be dead on for a style so I quite often brew with what I have. The beer is always good, but sometimes the right hops does make it great.

I have a number of Mr. Beer fermentors which are great for test & experimental batches. They make two gallons so you can mash for a standard 5 gallon recipe (makes strong samples :) )and split the boil to test different hops side-by-side. I've also heard of some doing 1 gallon test batches using the 2 gallon Rubbermaid water dispensers from WallyWorld.

Hallertau for a Heffe

combine the Golding and Williamette and make an irish red (check my sig, there is an AG version too)

That's pretty cool. I've been wanting to make a red beer ever since I bought the Pale Ale Series book. The beer on the cover looks great. I may try your recipe as a wet hopped version. Your beer seems a little lighter in OSG than I usually brew, so that should be a nice change, too.

Hallertau for a Heffe

I love heffe also, though I seem to have brewed a lot of Wits - probably due to all the coriander lying around from the cilantro my wife grows. Time to start checking for recipes. As long as it doesn't come out like Blue Moon I'm happy! That's my standard of non-excellence. Actually, the hallertau looks almost ready to pick - getting psyched.

Back