Recipe with Perle and EKG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doggage

Reaction score
I have one ounce of Perle and three of EKG left over from some all-grain batches (forgot that it requires less bittering than extract recipes).

Any suggestions on what to make? If possible I'd like something a bit on the lighter/summery side.

Sierra Nevada used Perle as the hop in their wheat beer. EKG can be used in just about anything.

I'll second the Bitter, but for summer an Ordinary Bitter is better.

This would only use half the hops and you'll have to convert for AG, but it would be easy to go through 10 gallons.

1.75 lb MO
1/2 lb C60L

45 min. @ 155F

3.5 lb extra pale LME

1.5 oz EKG @ 60
0.5 oz Perle @ 5 (the recipe calls for Fuggle, but Perle would work)

OG 1.036
WLP-002, Wy London ESB 1968 (I used S-04, because that's what was handy)

+2 on a bitter here's my standard recipe (in percentages)

80% Marris Otter, 10% C55, 5% flaked barley, 5% unrefined cane sugar (turbando, demura, etc.)

shoot for 1.050 or so (going for special bitter here)
hopping I'd go for:
1oz perle@FWH
1oz EKG@60
1oz EKG@0

super estery english yeast, WLP023 or 026 would be great, but then, so would s-04 or any other english strain.

Hey anyone know if a little of an Irish Ale Yeast would work with this? I'll have a yeast cake from a Barleywine.

Those yeast will be exhausted from the Barleywine, and you'd have waaaay too many of them. Pitch fresh English Ale Yeast (or some British strain, but avoid the "Dry" ones for this beer) in there.

K, I'll go with WLP002 English Ale. IIRC, Jamil's recipe for an Ordinary Bitter used that.

I knew the count would be way too high. I was just going to use a bit. But I didn't think about how tired they'd be, so thank you.

Back