Recipe, what is this?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

k1v1116

Reaction score
I just brewed the following recipe today:

Batch Size = 5.5 Gallons, sg 1.066 79% efficiency
Grain bill: 12.50lbs
8.0lb English Pale Ale malt
2.0lb White Wheat
1.0lb Crystal 60L
0.5lb Melanoidin
0.5lb Brown Malt
0.5lb Chocolate Malt
Hops
EKG 1.75oz 60m
EKG 0.25oz 10m

Mashed 128f - protein, 154f sacc rest.
White Labs WLP023 Burton Ale

Water adjusted to loosely mimic Burton on Trent water.

I made up this recipe partly because I had a lot of the ingredients on hand already, I realize the SG is a little high and the IBUs a little low but im curious what everyone thinks of this recipe. The closest match I could find in the BJCP guidelines is the Northern English Brown style but its not a perfect match, so what did I make?

Also this is the first time Ive used my new barley crusher and at factory gap settings my efficiency already jumped 9% I look forward to tweaking it.

ProMash has the SRM at 19.6 its a little hard to tell from the wort but it looks like that should be close. kind of a medium brown I guess. I used the burton yeast because I have some slants of it in my fridge, and its one of my favorite yeasts for almost any style of ale.

I agree it looks like a porter...malt bill looks like a brown porter recipe but the hard water and high gravity could make it taste more like a robust porter. The hops are sort of in the middle and could be either.

ok, thanks for the feedback everyone. Im sure whatever it turns out to be it will be good. It doesnt really seem to fit into any category very well.

Latest posts

Back