Recipe units

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Specs

Reaction score
Im trying to calculate my efficiency but am unsure of some units. The formula I am using is Total gravity of wort/Total potential gravity of grains.

What units should the volume be in? US gallons? or Imperial gallons?
Also the recipes found on the forum usually state 5.5 gallons. are those US or imperial?

I'd say gallons - Most of us are from the States here and couldn't use the metric system to save our lives

You're going to need US liquid gallons, about .85 UK gallons. For some reason US Dry Gallons are closer at .95 UK gallons. Weird... I hate the 'standard' measurement system, even being stateside and not officially getting to use meteric.

Don't know why everyone down here is so oppesed to a nice interrelated base ten system (just like currency), but they are. Personally I'm toying with converting all my recipes and brew sessions to meteric. Now if I could just get my LHBS to follow suit so ordering would be a snap!

You're going to need US liquid gallons, about .85 UK gallons. For some reason US Dry Gallons are closer at .95 UK gallons. Weird... I hate the 'standard' measurement system, even being stateside and not officially getting to use meteric.

Don't know why everyone down here is so oppesed to a nice interrelated base ten system (just like currency), but they are. Personally I'm toying with converting all my recipes and brew sessions to meteric. Now if I could just get my LHBS to follow suit so ordering would be a snap!

We were going to change over a few years ago but it was going to cost too much money

Back