Recipe Suggestion

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I just got into home brewing and enjoy every bit of it...perhaps researching a bit too much and spending too much time worrying whether I got everything right or not...regardless, I have a Red Ale and Lager fermenting just right and at right temps and I can't wait for the next steps....:mug:

Meanwhile, I accidentally ordered 6 lbs of Munich Malt extract (liquid) and was wondering what recipe you guys can suggest that involves using 6 lbs of this LME? I researched a bit but haven't found anything specific. I thought I should ask here as I am sure someone has done it...

If you suggest a good recipe, I promise to try it out this weekend! ;-) :rockin:

Munich is pretty versatile.

I just (yesterday) made a nice American Pale Ale with it. [6 lbs. Munich LME, 1 lb Light DME, 1/2 lb. Crystal 30-37, 1/2 lb Crstal 77; 3/4 oz millennium bittering, 1 oz Willamette flavor; 1 oz. Cascade aroma]

Or you could make a nice blonde. You can pretty much mix with pilsner and light and do anything with it that you would with those.

I have a nice blonde recipe with 4 lbs Pilsen LME, 2 lbs Munich LME, and 1 lb Rice Extract (1 lb of Carapils and Honey Malt; bittering-- liberty, flavor-- Saaz; and aroma Cascade)

thanks woozy...I'll give this a thought....I like your APA recipe. One question - I bought this Munich Malt LME from Northern Brewer, which says it has 50% Munich and 50% pale...I wonder if that changes the equation a bit? I have about 6 lbs total, so that would equate to 3 LBS of Munich Malt LME and 3 LBS of Pale Extract.

No, because they're referring to the *grain* it is made from. Munich LME is made from 50% Munich grain and 50% Pale grain. That's what is referred to as Munich LME. Unless you have a mixture of two different LMEs, I'd assume you have Munich LME.

I'm still relatively new to brewing so I haven't developed a sense of ingredients and tweaking recipes myself, but I'm pretty sure you can swap out LMEs as you like. Swaping Munich for Pale or Light, I think, would make similar style but a darker maltier beer. I think.

My American Pale Ale (a recipe and ingredient kit put together by Oak Barrel Winecraft, my LHBS in Berkeley, Ca.) is as follows:

Extracts:
6 lbs. Munich LME
1 lb. Light DME

Steeping Grains:
1/2 lb Crystal Malt 30-37 L
1/2 lb Crystal Malt 77 L

Hops:
3/4 oz Millennium (bittering -- 60 min)
1 oz Willamette (flavor -- 15 min)
1 oz Cascade (aroma -- 0 min)

Suggested yeasts: Nottingham (dry) or WLP001-- California Ale Yeast (liquid) or WLP002 --- English Ale Yeast (liquid).

5 gallons; O.G = 1. 052, F.G. = 1.012 - 1.018 ABV = 5%

The usual instructions. Ferment at around 65. Primary fermentation can last 2-3 weeks (although it never has for me). Yadda yadda.

Oh! it has an IPA variation: An extra 1 lb of Pilsen DME on brew and 2 oz of Apollo (pellet) hops as a dry hop after fermentation (and allow to sit 4-5 days)

Anyway, I really rather like this. It's maybe my favorite of what I've brewed so far. Haven't done the IPA version but it sounds pretty good. I assume to extra lb of Pilsen DME will up the O.G.

Back