Recipe suggestion for xmas gifts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pwnshop

Reaction score
Hey, so my girlfriend had the grand idea that we will give everyone in our families beer that I have made. I can't really get out of it at this point so bye bye pipeline!

Anyways the goal is four different styles. I have three done already:
1. Belgian Dubbel
2. Milk Stout
3. Amber

So I just need a fourth and I'm not sure what style to shoot for. I'm looking for something simple, and something that I can use dry yeast (don't have time to build a starter). I would need to brew it Saturday.

As the other beers are all a bit heavier and dark I was thinking maybe something a little lighter. Maybe an IPA... but if I go the IPA route it has to be something thats not too hoppy, most of these people are not craft beer drinkers and too hoppy might not work well as a gift.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Brown Ale or Porter to give another color between the Amber and the Milk Stout;
Dry Stout to contrast with the Milk Stout;
APA or ESB for a classic beer that everybody will like.

I agree along the lines of the Centennial Blonde. Something light colored like a blonde or cream ale, or even an APA would go well with that mix.

Another option would be Janet's Brown ale, I've heard good things about it(I haven't brewed it yet).

Your timeline is a bit short. There are only 5 or six weeks until Christmas, so low gravity recipes would be best.

I'll tell you what's light that had been a huge hit for me - if you have a blonde ale that works well for you, brew it like usual, then after its done fermenting for about 10 days or so, throw about 3oz of vanilla coffee beans in there. I brewed a Firestone 805 clone that I found on these boards, then added the coffee beans whole in a sanitized ss tea container, and it came out unbelievable. People loved it and one person actually said he felt like he was drinking an optical illusion because to look at it you wouldn't expect the intense coffee flavor.

I think it would be the kind of "experimental" beer that people would really love.

View attachment 1447897631543.jpg

All Citra Pale Ale. Only because I just made it and I am drinking a bottle right now. The recipe in the recipe section is really good, I found others online that are similar that look like they would be good. Even my non hop loving parents and swmbo like it. I admit im kind of on a citra kick right now though.

Thanks for the suggestions. Centennial blonde has been on my "brew to see what all the fuss is about" list for some time now so that's a good easy suggestion. I'm leaning towards that one.

My lhbs appears to be out of centennial hops though. If I were to do all cascade or maybe Willamette / cascade will it turn out just as well?

i wouldnt use willamette. Any interesting hop would still make a great beer. Cascade would overpower the willamette though. Id sooner do all cascade than a combination of the two

i wouldnt use willamette. Any interesting hop would still make a great beer. Cascade would overpower the willamette though. Id sooner do all cascade than a combination of the two

I can do simcoe, sorachi ace, or Willamette in place of the centennial with what I already have in the freezer. Or I can just buy an ounce of cascade and go all cascade.

I don't know what the beer tastes like so its hard to deviate from the recipe.. Of those combos what would you go with?

simcoe is definitely my pick out of all of those. If you wanted to combine two of them, id do simcoe and sorachi. I think that would be pretty interesting

Back