Recipe Review and Decoction

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NWAleDad

Reaction score
Hello,

two questions.
1. When making a hefe how important is it to do a decoction mash? i know it is true tot he style, but will affect my final product in a different way if i batch sparge with a single infusion mash?

2. Would love some input on my hefe recipe below

Style: Weizen/Weissbier
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (30.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 6.46 gal
Post Boil Volume: 5.46 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 5.00 gal
Bottling Volume: 4.60 gal
Estimated OG: 1.051 SG
Estimated Color: 3.6 SRM
Estimated IBU: 14.0 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 72.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 75.6 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
5 lbs Wheat Malt, Bel (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 52.6 %
3 lbs 8.0 oz Pilsner (2 Row) Ger (2.0 SRM) Grain 2 36.8 %
1 lbs Wheat, Flaked (1.6 SRM) Grain 3 10.5 %
0.50 oz Hallertauer [4.80 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 4 9.4 IBUs
0.50 oz Hallertauer [4.80 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 5 4.6 IBUs
0.25 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 mins) Fining 6 -
1.0 pkg Weihenstephan Weizen (Wyeast Labs #3068) Yeast 7 -

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Full Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 9 lbs 8.0 oz
----------------------------
Name Description Step Temperatur Step Time
Mash In Add 12.88 qt of water at 167.3 F 156.0 F 60 min

Sparge: Batch sparge with 2 steps (1.28gal, 3.35gal) of 168.0 F water

A decoction is better. It certanly not make or break but it does give it a little something extra.

I like to strike it at 110-115 for an acid rest for about 20 minutes then infuse to 122 for a protein rest for 10 minutes, infuse to abut 145. Rest for 15-20 minutes than pull the thick decoction (1/3-1/2 of the mash.) I raise it slow to 170 or so then let it go to boil (no rests really.) I use that decoction to bring the mash to 155-158, I may have to hold some out until it cools a bit to not over shoot the temp. After conversion I pull the thin decoction and just let it go to boil and return it for mash out.

Here is a mash schedule on Weyermann's site. You can't decoct the lower rest fast enough.
http://www.weyermann.de/eng/hr.asp?go=detailrz&idrz=13&umenue=yes&idmenue=42&sprache=2

Malticulous said:
A decoction is better. It certanly not make or break but it does give it a little something extra.

I like to strike it at 110-115 for an acid rest for about 20 minutes then infuse to 122 for a protein rest for 10 minutes, infuse to abut 145. Rest for 15-20 minutes than pull the thick decoction (1/3-1/2 of the mash.) I raise it slow to 170 or so then let it go to boil (no rests really.) I use that decoction to bring the mash to 155-158, I may have to hold some out until it cools a bit to not over shoot the temp. After conversion I pull the thin decoction and just let it go to boil and return it for mash out.

Here is a mash schedule on Weyermann's site. You can't decoct the lower rest fast enough.
http://www.weyermann.de/eng/hr.asp?go=detailrz&idrz=13&umenue=yes&idmenue=42&sprache=2

I have made several great Hefe using almost the identical mash schedule except I don't do the devotion part and they've all turned out really great. I start at the 122 for 20 minutes and go from there.

One of these days ill get around to trying the decoction thing....:mug

The one thing I've found that really improves a German wheat beer is a low pitch rate. It is much more effective than high fermentation temps.

The acid rest is said to be good for clove phenols. I've made them with and with out it. I'm still on the fence about it's importance.

Back