Recipe reveiw to help me(i am a newbie)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adam88

Reaction score
Hi All!

During this month i would like to brew my first BIAB beer.
Previous i made some kind of beer from concentrate and i brewed 1 time in a simple pot.
But 1-2 years missed from brewing now.
So i analyzed the offers of our webshops, and based on that i would like to try to brew a hoegaarden clone as the following:
(If i can buy wheat)
-2.2kg pils malt
-1.4kg wheat (not malted)
-0.4kg acidulated malt
-0.3kg oat flakes
-7g Hallertau Herstbucker (3.5%)
-7g Styrian goldings (4.4%)
-5g "citra" hops(13%)
-fm20 yeast (which is the most similar to Wyeast 3944 -in our webshops-)
+spices, rice hull etc.
If i can not buy wheat i will put wheat flakes instead of wheat.

What is your opinion? Can i try this recipe?

Thanks a lot!

I have brewed this recipe a few times and it's really close to Hoegaarden.

https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/homebrew-recipe/beer-recipe-of-the-week-hoegaarden-white/

Your recipe looks pretty solid overall, but 0.4kg acidulated seems a little much, unless you are going for some "tang" in the finish.

When do you plan to add Citra? Citra is not really "to style" for this beer, but it probably would be ok if used judiciously. It might overpower the spices with its aromas.

If the shop is milling the grains for you, you might want to ask them to "double crush" them, or perhaps run half the grains through the mill twice since you're doing BIAB.

I have been the most happy with Belgian Whites when they're bottle conditioned directly after primary fermentation (around Day 10 assuming you hit final gravity) or directly kegged at the same point with about 3oz dissolved priming sugar per 5gal keg. Fresh & spritzy is the name of the game with this style, IMO...

Last edited:
I have brewed this recipe a few times and it's really close to Hoegaarden.

https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/homebrew-recipe/beer-recipe-of-the-week-hoegaarden-white/

Your recipe looks pretty solid overall, but 0.4kg acidulated seems a little much, unless you are going for some "tang" in the finish.

When do you plan to add Citra? Citra is not really "to style" for this beer, but it probably would be ok if used judiciously. It might overpower the spices with its aromas.

If the shop is milling the grains for you, you might want to ask them to "double crush" them, or perhaps run half the grains through the mill twice since you're doing BIAB.

I have been the most happy with Belgian Whites when they're bottle conditioned directly after primary fermentation (around Day 10 assuming you hit final gravity) or directly kegged at the same point with about 3oz dissolved priming sugar per 5gal keg. Fresh & spritzy is the name of the game with this style, IMO...

Hi!
Thanks for your answer!!!!

I will add only 0.1kg acidulated malt i think. Yes this is the most likeable recipe, i'm trying to create my recipe based on this link and based on webshops's offers.
The citra, i dont know really. I just try to find a hop instead of american nugget (because i cant buy it in a webshop) with a similar %AA, and the shop's site said citra has 13% and it a juicy hop so i thought it could work instead of amercian nugget :/

About milling twice. Whici is your opinion? I read on the net and in your reply that milling twice is better for biab. But on the other hand, i read that too, that with a brewing machine (its not a pforessional one, its a half-diy machine) where i will circulate the water with a pump the very small parts of malt could escape from the bag and seal my pump :/
I ordered the bag from here: http://biabbags.webs.com/ (because i read very good reviews about their bags).

Hi!
Thanks for your answer!!!!

I will add only 0.1kg acidulated malt i think. Yes this is the most likeable recipe, i'm trying to create my recipe based on this link and based on webshops's offers.
The citra, i dont know really. I just try to find a hop instead of american nugget (because i cant buy it in a webshop) with a similar %AA, and the shop's site said citra has 13% and it a juicy hop so i thought it could work instead of amercian nugget :/

About milling twice. Whici is your opinion? I read on the net and in your reply that milling twice is better for biab. But on the other hand, i read that too, that with a brewing machine (its not a pforessional one, its a half-diy machine) where i will circulate the water with a pump the very small parts of malt could escape from the bag and seal my pump :/
I ordered the bag from here: http://biabbags.webs.com/ (because i read very good reviews about their bags).

You are embarking on a new process. Quit making is as difficult as possible. You are setting yourself up with failure.

Start with a simple recipe, not one that includes a difficult to work with unmalted grain. Making the Hoegaarden clone with unmalted wheat crushed at your LHBS in a recirculating system is going to be a failure. Your LHBS isn't going to crush the unmalted wheat fine enough to get decent conversion from it and being unmalted makes it worse. Trying to recirculate with a BIAB isn't the best either. Your grains have to be milled coarser to avoid plugging up the pump or the weave of the bag. That leads to poor efficiency to add to the problems with the unmalted wheat.

^^^^what he said. Don't try to do too much. Brew something simple, probably a few times, and get your new setup dialed in.

Latest posts

Back