Recipe question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bacchusuga

Reaction score
I just boiled the AHS 20th Anniversary IPA on Sunday. I bought it with another kit and didn't go through everything before brewing; I just pulled out the ingredients for the kit.
8 lbs Extra Pale Malt Extract
1 lb Crystal 75L
1 oz Newport 60 min
1 oz Falconer's Flight 15 min
After putting it in the primary I started looking at the other kit I got, the 20th anniversary Kolsch. And I realized there is an extra 1 oz of Cascade. When I looked at the ingredients online it mentions Cascade, but the recipe card that came with the kit didn't mention it.
Should I use it to dry hop or should I hang onto it for future use? Just curious what you guys think.

Last time I dryhopped (the only time), I racked the beer to secondary for a week, then added loose pellets for a week. The pellets definitely spread out amongst the beer, but it was tough siphoning so as not to get hops all in the bottling bucket. I was thinking about racking directly onto the hop pellets this time so they'd get wetter quicker and hopefully sink more quickly. I don't know if this will work. Ideas?

Last time I dryhopped (the only time), I racked the beer to secondary for a week, then added loose pellets for a week. The pellets definitely spread out amongst the beer, but it was tough siphoning so as not to get hops all in the bottling bucket. I was thinking about racking directly onto the hop pellets this time so they'd get wetter quicker and hopefully sink more quickly. I don't know if this will work. Ideas?

I would think that racking onto the hops would disperse them more thoroughly throughout the beer. Just think of how well mixed priming sugar is just from racking into the bottling bucket.

If you're going to dry hop with pellets, put them in a hop bag first. If you don't have access to a hop bag, you can use pantyhose instead. I picked that advice up from a thread by Denny Conn a while back. Some people put sanitized glass marbles or stainless washers in their hop bags so they stay submerged in the beer. You shouldn't have any issues with hop sediment this way.

I will second the hop bag, but I didn't have enough marbles to weigh down the bag, so I sanitized a butter knife. Worked just fine, except that some of the pellet material floated up through the top of the bag. When I siphoned the beer out for bottling, I put a sanitized hop bag over the end of the hose, which captured more. Next day, still noticed a lot of pellet matter in the bottles. Oh well, going to drink it young anyway.

Back