Recipe of stuff at hand - what do you think?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattip

Reaction score
While I wait for my first beer to carbonate in the bottles, I would like to brew something new from stuff I already have. Will try a small partial mash with grainbag this time and aim for an american pale ale. I didn't find a recipe that matched my ingredients. But do you think this can be something? Probably it would be better with pale ale malt extract. But I only have that extra light dme. If you think this recipe is a bad idea, maybe I should brew a blonde instead?

Type: Partial Mash
Batch Size: 18,93 L
Boil Size: 12,31 L
Boil Time: 60 min Equipment: Brew Pot (4 Gallon)

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU
1500,00 gm Extra Light Dry Extract (5,9 EBC) Dry Extract 44,78 %
1000,00 gm Extra Light Dry Extract (5,9 EBC) Dry Extract 29,85 %
500,00 gm Munich Malt (17,7 EBC) Grain 14,93 %
250,00 gm Caramel/Crystal Malt - 10L (19,7 EBC) Grain 7,46 %
100,00 gm Wheat Malt, Ger (3,9 EBC) Grain 2,99 %
40,00 gm Cascade [5,50 %] (60 min) Hops 18,7 IBU
20,00 gm Goldings, East Kent [5,00 %] (Dry Hop 7 days) Hops -
20,00 gm Cascade [5,50 %] (Dry Hop 7 days) Hops -
30,00 gm Goldings, East Kent [5,00 %] (30 min) Hops 9,8 IBU
25,00 gm Cascade [5,50 %] (5 min) Hops 2,3 IBU
1 Pkgs American Ale II (Wyeast Labs #1272) Yeast-Ale

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1,058 SG
Measured Original Gravity: 1,010 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1,015 SG Measured Final Gravity: 1,005 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 5,72 % Actual Alcohol by Vol: 0,65 %
Bitterness: 37,1 IBU Calories: 90 cal/l
Est Color: 10,6 EBC Color: Color

Looks like something I would brew, but I rarely follow a recipe or brew to style.

The only change I would make is changing all those zany measurements to pounds and ounces :)

OK, great.

Since this is going to be quite light in color, maybe it is too bitter at 37 IBU?
Can the EK Goldings and Cascade go well together like this?
/matti

So, I brewed this today and it came out too low on gravity. Can I save it?

At 18 liters it is 1.051, which is OK, of course. But since I measured it before diluting fully with water, my Beer Alchemy says it now will have an IBU of 48. It sounds a lot for a beer at 1.051, doesn't it? I like hoppy beers, but don't really know what the numbers would taste like.

So, please help me with suggestions about how to save it:

1. Add some boiled muscadavo sugar to it, to get the gravity up.
2. Dillute with water.
3. 1+2.
4. It doesn't need any changes, if you like hoppy beer.
5. Something else.

I don't have any more DME to add to it. At least not for a couple of days.

Looks like a batch of Riccetti's Best. I do this when I have a lot of leftovers and have made some pretty tasty brews.

RDWHAHB!

Dan

Well I am a bit curious how it would turn out. But I haven't found any examples of beers this hoppy with this low OG. Doesn't anyone think it will be a disaster?

/matti

I'd suggest just delaying the EKG addition to 10-15 minutes. It will bring the IBUs down, and contribute more flavour/aroma (or so I understand, still learning).

I'd suggest just delaying the EKG addition to 10-15 minutes. It will bring the IBUs down, and contribute more flavour/aroma (or so I understand, still learning).

Yes. The problem is that I already brewed it. And the OG came out too low. So If I dilute it to the correct volume, the OG will be too low, if I don't the IBU will be to high. I am beginning to understand this problem now, probably a classic one for some people here.

/Matti

Ahhh, my mistake; sorry about that. I'd say just ride it out then. It will be beer, and probably quite drinkable (I'm thinking a low alc. IPA).

Well after sleeping on it, I woke up remembering that I diluted the wort (I only boil 12 liters) before measuring OD.

1. Poured clean water onto the wort in the fermenting bucket.
2. Measured OD.
3. Pitched Yeast.
4. Stirred the wort.

I suspect that undiluted wort lay at the bottom of the bucket while I took the sample from the top. If that is true I will end up with... an IPA! (If I don't dilute it more.) I think it is best not to open the bucket and measure again, though. But just leave it be until it is time to dry hop.

/matti

:off:

Riccetti's Best? As in Lou Riccetti? The Engineer?

Absolutely. When I have left over ingredients I make a batch. Never know how it will turn out, never the same twice, and always "different" - I felt the analogy worked well so that is what I call the batch. The name seemed perfect (for those of you that even know what the heck we are talking about... Hint - Guardians of the Flame).

I have been homebrewing for a LOOONG time - and sometimes it shows...

Dan

Back