Recipe kits

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

farmskis

Reaction score
When you order a kit and it gives you a set number of grains and a target og do you figure the batch size based on your specific efficiency of your brewing equipment?
I have never ordered a kit before and usually have ordered my grain amounts according to my batch size and efficiency.
What if you can not brew as much as the kit requires? Are you able to cut down the grain since it is all mixed? If it where separate I would just figure it out and weigh out what I need of each grain.

It sounds like you do all grain. Then your equipment makes a difference. Your efficiency will have and effect on the outcome. If an extract kit, you use all the ingredients, and end up with the proper volume, it should come out as predicted.

Most all grain kits are designed for an average efficiency of about 70%. If you get less you could compensate by brewing a little less volume or visa-versa. This would be an inexact process.

I take kit recipes, if available then use Beersmith to adjust for my efficiency and build my own "kit". I haven't done a kit in over 5 years. I buy grain and hops in bulk and design my own recipes, or alter others.

It sounds like you do all grain. Then your equipment makes a difference. Your efficiency will have and effect on the outcome. If an extract kit, you use all the ingredients, and end up with the proper volume, it should come out as predicted.

Most all grain kits are designed for an average efficiency of about 70%. If you get less you could compensate by brewing a little less volume or visa-versa. This would be an inexact process.

I take kit recipes, if available then use Beersmith to adjust for my efficiency and build my own "kit". I haven't done a kit in over 5 years. I buy grain and hops in bulk and design my own recipes, or alter others.

You are correct in that I do all grain. I usually will adjust others to my taste or efficiency. I just saw some kit recipes and it got me curious on how that would work for just the reason you mentioned, efficiency varies from setup to setup.

Latest posts

Back