Recipe Kits

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cd38

Reaction score
Hello everyone I just bought myself an equipment kit from Midwest should be here by friday. But now to my next question I have looked and found a LHBS here in town and was just wanting some input on what I should do for my first beer. Should I by a kit if so which one is good for a first batch guy like myself or should I use a recipe with all ingredients seperate. Basically I am just wanting to soak up all info and input I can before I head to the store because I dont want to buy something that will be ****e or dont want to buy something that is way over my head just because the guy at the store wants me to spend more. Thanks in advance for all the advice, love this site I have learned so much and cant wait to let you all know how it turns out thanks.

I find kits (like Brewer's Best) to be a great way to start off. All the ingredients are there, the instructions are for the most part adequate, and the end result is pretty darned good. I take notes about what I like and dislike from the final product of each kit and use that as a starting point for modifying the recipes. This has given me a better idea about what to do and what to look out for when I want to create my own recipes.

Yes, a kit like Brewer's Best is a good kit to start with. It's easy enough for a beginner and they have plenty of styles to choose. It's been a long time since I did one so I had to look up the instructions and they look pretty good (unlike MANY kits).

It is important not to follow any instruction that don't sound right. For example; bottle after 5 days or put 3 pounds of table sugar in your brew. Those are bad, evil instructions and you will not be happy with the results. It's best to ask the brewers here if you think something seems wonky in the instructions.

Most importantly, pick a style that you like! What kind of beers do you like drinking?

+1 on the Brewers Best kits, that's how I started out and their instructions are pretty good if I remember. I would, however swap out the included yeast for some Safale US-05...

Also, I don't know about your LHBS but the one I went to to get my start had thier own kits. Super convenient and nice to support the store (they have more character than brand name kits).

alright guys thanks for being so helpful will look into getting a BB kit and heading back to my LHBS to see what they got for me.

Also, I don't know about your LHBS but the one I went to to get my start had thier own kits. Super convenient and nice to support the store (they have more character than brand name kits).

Yea, my store has their own kits. They typically include more specialty grains and have more precise instructions. And, as you said, it's a nice way to support the local store.

I think one thing to watch out for on the Brewer's Best instructions (or most kit instructions, for that matter) is the recommended times for leaving the beer in the primary and in the bottles. Go with what you've read on this site.

you could of added a couple of beer kits to your equip order from midwest with only a couple of dollars diff in shipping

that what I did

:mug:

Back