Recipe input requested--substituting Maris for 2-Row Pale Malt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mongoose33

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm just finishing a keg of the first beer I'd have paid money for in a store. It'a Rye, and it's beautiful. Finally I see what can be done w/ home brewing. Tasty, tasty stuff. But it's nearly gone!

So I'm brewing up some more tomorrow; yeast starter already going on stir plate, all I need is to finalize the recipe. Of course, the obvious thing is to reproduce the recipe and if my process is good, I should be able to come pretty close to what's in my keg right now.

However....considering tweaking it a bit. The recipe uses 9# of base 2-row pale barley malt, and I'm wondering what effect switching out some or all of it to Maris Otter would be. I like ESB's.

Here's the original recipe; it's an ale, and fermented like one at 64-68 F, even though the yeast says "lager." I'm thinking two options, either half and half Maris and 2-row, or all Maris instead of 2-row. Any advice or suggestions?

8.0 oz Rice Hulls (0.0 SRM)
9 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain
3 lbs Rye Malt (4.7 SRM) Grain
6 oz Wheat, Roasted (425.0 SRM) Grain
4.0 oz Rye, Flaked (2.0 SRM) Grain

0.50 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 6 25.4 IBUs
0.50 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.00 %] - Boil 20.0 min Hop 7 15.4 IBUs
1.00 oz Styrian Celeia [4.50 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 8 5.9 IBUs
1.0 pkg California Lager (Wyeast Labs #2112)

MO is a base malt; it's a type of 2-row. Whether there is a detectable effect of the swap depends on the style. Given your proposed beer, it's possible you may notice a bit more biscuit/cracker/bread in the back than standard 2-row. Color will probably be a tiny bit darker (possibly noticeable, possibly not).

I use MO for most of my beers. Give it a go!

MO is a base malt; it's a type of 2-row. Whether there is a detectable effect of the swap depends on the style. Given your proposed beer, it's possible you may notice a bit more biscuit/cracker/bread in the back than standard 2-row. Color will probably be a tiny bit darker (possibly noticeable, possibly not).

I use MO for most of my beers. Give it a go!

It's already pretty dark; interesting look given it's not a stout but that's what people immediately assume (or a porter perhaps). I was going to lighten up on the chocolate wheat but...I really like the way it turned out:

ryebeer.jpg

Back