Recipe Idea: Saffron Wheat Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ouroboros

Reaction score
I've decided to make a saffroned brew and thought that an American wheat would be an appropriate starting point. The flavors should mesh well and the light brew should help showcase the intense color of saffron. I concocted this recipe while eating saffroned rice, so I figured that a couple of pounds of cereal-mashed basmati rice would be an interesting addition. I hope to get a hint of basmati flavor/aroma in the finished product.

I'm going to play around with adding various amounts of saffron to bottles of Oberon to see what kind of flavor that I want, but I'm thinking that a rate near gram per gallon should be a good rough starting point. I expect fermentation to drive off some of the aroma, like it does with hops. My primary concern is that I'm going to end up with an un-lauterable nightmare because of all the wheat and adjuncts.

Any input is appreciated. Thanks!

Stats:
Batch Volume: 6 gal
OG (assuming 60% efficiency): 1.056
FG (assuming 75% attenuation): 1.014
IBU: 15
ABV (proj.): 5.5%
Yeast: Bells Yeast

Fermentables:
8.5 lb Wheat Malt
3.5 lb 6-Row
3 lb Basmati Rice

Hops and Spices:
60 min - 0.4 oz Yakima Magnum (13.4% aa)
0 min - 3 g Persian saffron
Secondary - 3 g Persian saffron (crushed and dissolved in 2 cups boiling water)

Mash Schedule:
Add 1 lb rice hulls to mash/lauter tun.
Cereal Mash for Rice: Without washing or parboiling, boil until overcooked to ensure gelatinization of starches. Add liquids/cooked rice to mash tun.
Saccharification rest (single infusion): 155F, 60 minutes.

Latest posts

Back