Recipe help needed (ESB?)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WesM63

Reaction score
My local homebrew shop owner gave me 4oz of hops to brew a beer with (2oz Pilgrim, 1oz Newport, 1oz German Herkules), I ended up building a "ESB" around the hops. I don't have experience with any of these hops, i think he was just trying to get rid of them. However, based on what I read, here is what I came up with. I know it's not traditional nor was that really my intent, i was shooting for something close. Thoughts?

85.1% Maris Otter
8.5% Flaked Wheat (only cause i want to use it up)
4.3% Crystal 60
2.1% Crystal 150

1oz Newport @ 50min
0.25oz Herkules @ 15min
0.25oz Pilgrim @ 15min
0.50 Herkules @ 0min
0.50 Pilgrim @ 0min
1.25oz Pilgrim Dry Hop for 5days
0.25oz Herkules Dry Hop for 5days

Mash @ 152
Ferment with Wyeast 1469 (West Yorkshire Ale)

Target is around OG 1.054 for 5.1% and 36 IBU

I'm open to other suggestions as well, styles etc. However, I would like to use all 4oz he gave me in one recipe. I have some other hop varieties on hand if adding some would be beneficial. I have Citra, Mosaic, Columbus, Nugget, Nelson Sauvin, Motuka, Mandrina Bavaria, Amarillo, EXP 7270, Galaxy and I think some Centennial.

The grains look ok, you could actually double the C60 if you wanted to get some body back from the flaked wheat addition. Using 7-8% would be fine. I wouldn't add more C150 though.

I'm not familiar with those hops, but after some quick googling it looks like you made a good call using the Newport for bittering and the more aromatic Pilgrim and Herkules as late additions.

I think you will make a fine bitter with that recipe. Other styles you could explore with those hops are: Saison, APA, American Amber, or a hoppy American Wheat

Mmmmm, MARRIS OTTER!! I just love that stuff!

Recipe looks good to me. Let us know how it turns out!

I usually consider my ESB to be my default drinking beer, probably every 3rd or 4th batch or so, and I try to keep it simple with the ingredients I commonly have on hand, and sometimes substitute if I come up short. I usually start with the following outline to get about 30 IBU 1.050 SG, and a deep amber to copper color. Here it goes:
9 lbs Pale or Pilsner Malt
1 lb Crystal 40
1/2 lb Carapils
3/4 oz of Columbus or 1.5 oz of Fuggles or EKG at 60 minutes
1 oz Fuggles or EKG at 10 minutes
Mash at 152
Use Nottingham or US-05​
I vary the ingredients slightly depending on my inventory.

Thanks for all the responses. Glad to know I'm not too far off with my initial build. I may bump it up the C60 to 8% as suggested.

Back