recipe help - I'm missing hops!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cabbie92

Reaction score
Long time lurker, now looking for some help! I'm planning to brew a black IPA (or whatever you prefer to call it) tomorrow. I start at 7 am so trying to finalize tonight. I've got all the grains, and thought I had all the hops....until I realized I don/'t have any magnum. I have nugget or columbus to substite. Which do you think would work better? I'm also thinking about breaking the 60 min hops into FWH and boil hops....open to your thoughts and suggestions!

Here's the ingredient list:

13 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 82.5 %
1 lbs Caramunich Malt (56.0 SRM) Grain 2 6.3 %
12.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (80.0 SRM) Grain 3 4.8 %
8.0 oz Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 4 3.2 %
8.0 oz Carafa III (525.0 SRM) Grain 5 3.2 %
1.50 oz Magnum [14.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 6 59.7 IBUs
0.50 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] - Boil 30.0 min Hop 7 9.3 IBUs
0.50 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 30.0 min Hop 8 6.0 IBUs
1.10 Items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 mins) Fining 9 -
0.50 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 10 6.0 IBUs
0.50 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 11 3.9 IBUs
0.50 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 12 2.4 IBUs
0.50 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 13 1.6 IBUs
1.0 pkg Safale American (DCL/Fermentis #US-05) [50.28 ml] Yeast 14 -
1.00 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] - Dry Hop 7.0 Days Hop 15 0.0 IBUs
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Dry Hop 7.0 Days Hop 16 0.0 IBUs

In this recipe I don't think it much matters which of the two you use for bittering. As far as the FWH most folks move forward a percentage of either late additions only, or a percentage of the entire hop schedule.

I'd add the dark grains later in the mash than 60 minutes. I just made one and add all the grain at once. Color is great, but I'm getting to much flavor from the dark grains. Next time I'll put them off for at least 30 minutes.

I'd add the dark grains later in the mash than 60 minutes. I just made one and add all the grain at once. Color is great, but I'm getting to much flavor from the dark grains. Next time I'll put them off for at least 30 minutes.

I agree do last 15 min. An idea I had is not mash dark grain, after conversion complete and drained in brew kettle. Add grain in a tea bag and soak 15 min remove and start fire. Make sure you are less than 140 degrees and you have no or little conversion, you'll just get color and no roasted flavor.

Cabbie, Welcome to the site, and good luck on the brew. I also agree Seven, columbus is the better choice, personally I think it would be better than the magnum. Have you planned on dry hopping between fermination and bottling?

chickypad said:
In this recipe I don't think it much matters which of the two you use for bittering. As far as the FWH most folks move forward a percentage of either late additions only, or a percentage of the entire hop schedule.

Agreed, with the amount of late hop additions, the flavor contribution from the 60 minute addition won't be too noticeable.

Thanks for all the great feedback! I've had to delay brewing today - hoping to start it a bit later!

Seven said:
I'd probably choose the columbus as a substitute for magnum.

I've used Columbus in my IPA's for bittering additions and for aroma. Plus, it has high alpha acids. All my buddies loved my IPA. I'm doing a BIPA right now, hop flavor dissipates quickly. Dry hop, dry hop, dry hop.

Looks good and have a great brew day!

Columbus should be fine, just throw the Dark grain in the last 10-15min of the mash and you will get the color. I did the same but used midnight wheat (550srm) for color. I used Columbus as well and it turned out great.

Brewed this today. I decided to use the columbus. I also ended up with an extra 0.5 oz of cascade and amarillo, so I decided to put them in as FWH. I also kept the dark grains out until the last 15 minutes of mash. The gravity sample tasted delicious! Can't wait to taste this one!

Thanks again to everyone for their advice. As others have said before, this is a great site with lots of knowledgeable and helpful people!

First wort hops...basically adding hops with first runnings, while you're getting the wort to boiling temp.

cabbie92 said:
First wort hops...basically adding hops with first runnings, while you're getting the wort to boiling temp.

Thanks. I hadn't heard the abbreviation before.

Ok, so this is in the keg and tastes awesome! I'm a fan of stouts and porters, but this is a nice change...just a bit of stout bitterness, but it still has a creamy head in it. The annoying part is that I put it in a new keg I got...and the gas line in post leaks. I think it's the poppet. I have a 20 oz CO2 tank on it to stop the leak until it conditions some more and goes into the kegerator. Looking forward to this one after its chilled!

Back