Recipe help - hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

munro

Reaction score
Today I picked up:

8lbs 2-row
2lbs pale malt (says toasted. Does that mean I actually toast it in the oven?)
.5 lbs crystal 60L
.5 lbs wheat flakes

I also got a pack of us-05 and 2 oz of simco and 2 oz amerillo.

In the fridge I have some mt hood, cascade, chinook, and centennial.

Also have some wlp001. Just don't have time to do a starter.

Advice on hop additions (varieties and times) would be amazing!

I would try .5oz simco @ 60, .5 oz Chinook at 15, and an ounce of cascade at the end of the boil. Should be a hoppy pale at OG 1.052, 34 IBUs, 6.5 SRM.

Thanks. Any other suggestions on what I can do with all the rest? A hop bomb? Would moving the .5oz additions to 1oz completely unbalance the beer?

At 75% efficiency I'm getting about 1.059 with all your grains. You could easily do a hoppy APA/lower end American IPA, I'd personally save the simcoe and amarillo for late additions. Maybe something like:

chinook at 60 to hit target IBU (probably 0.5 or so)
.5 simcoe + .5 amarillo at 15, 5, 0 min
then dry hop with whatever you like, the remaining simcoe/amarillo plus a little chinook would be nice. Or cascade. Lots of ways you could go here.

chickypad said:
At 75% efficiency I'm getting about 1.059 with all your grains. You could easily do a hoppy APA/lower end American IPA, I'd personally save the simcoe and amarillo for late additions. Maybe something like:

chinook at 60 to hit target IBU (probably 0.5 or so)
.5 simcoe + .5 amarillo at 15, 5, 0 min
then dry hop with whatever you like, the remaining simcoe/amarillo plus a little chinook would be nice. Or cascade. Lots of ways you could go here.

I also would suggest the chinook to bitter and simcoe/amarillo later boil and dry hop. as a personal preference, i would just add more of them!

If you're looking to empty the inventory, then I'd bitter with Mt Hood to only 20 IBU. If not enough then top off with a little Centennial (I think Chinook is a bit harsh to my tastes when bittering). Then I'd set aside an ounce of Simcoe and Amarillo each for dry hopping. All the rest I'd add at flame out and let stand for 10 minutes before starting to chill. You'll pick up plenty enough bitterness for balance, plus loads of flavor and aroma. I'd only dry hop for 2-3 days.

Back