Recipe help? guava Belgian pale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

motorneuron

Reaction score
Hey guys--

So, I'm hoping to try to brew a lower-ABV but high-flavor Belgian pale ale for the hot days of summer. When shopping recently for sour oranges and panela at a Latin grocery (easy to get that stuff in Washington Heights!), I couldn't resist also buying some guava paste. So my overall vision for this beer involves a complex fruity nose, low-medium bitterness and alcohol, some residual sweetness, and good body.

For those not familiar, the guava paste is like this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goiabada It seems to be about 4/7 sugar by mass, according to nutrition data I found, which I assume is mostly fermentable sucrose and fructose, so I assumed in my calculations that it's going to be good for 25 PPG. I plan to add it, after briefly reconstituting in boiling water, after about four days of fermentation--a bit like adding sugar to a high-gravity beer.

Anyway, here's my proposed recipe. Please let me know what you think! In particular, I'm worried if this is a bit too complex--I've got a lot of stuff here, and some of it may be redundant or unnecessary. The only key ideas are the guava paste, the Belgian yeast, and general lightness.

http://www.brewtoad.com/recipes/guava-belgian-pale

5.5 gallons, all grain, 75% efficiency:

OG 1.044
FG 1.010
ABV 4.5%
SRM 6
27 IBUs

FERMENTABLES:
5 lbs pale ale malt
1 lbs white wheat malt
.5 lbs flaked wheat
.5 lbs honey malt
**2 lbs guava paste (not mashed--added to primary after a few days)**

Mash at 156F for 60 minutes.

BOIL: 60 minutes

1 oz citra @ 10 mins
1 oz amarillo @ 10 mins
1 oz citra @ 0 mins
1 oz amarillo @ 0 mins

zest of one bitter orange @ 5 mins
.5 oz of grains of paradise @ 5 mins

Ferment with WLP500 (trappist ale) starting at 66F, temperature permitted to free rise

add guava paste after a few days of fermentation

Excellent. One of my best beers. A few notes: I would reduce the hops dramatically, since the aroma sort of clashed with the guava. The beer was better after the hops faded. I think I would do a half ounce or less of citra at about 20 minutes. Other note: the beer's appearance could have been better. The paste made it cloudy. Still, on the whole, a very good recipe. I encourage you to play around with it and try it out.

Sent from my HTC One using Home Brew mobile app

Nice. Heading to Barbados again, which was the first place I had guava paste. Got me thinking about using it in a beer since I hadn't started brewing the last time we were there.

Back