Recipe for tomorrow, and a question....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, I did brew it! It was fantastic! I kegged 4 gallons which just recently kicked, and I have about 8 bottles remaining. It's very good, especially for the first 2 weeks when the dry hops are in full effect. It's not spot on with the 2010 Celebration, but that's probably because of the new "fresh hop" thing they did this year. Tastes more like what I remember Celebration used to taste like in '02/'03 when I first discovered it. A delicious beer that I will be brewing again!

Awesome. Thanks for the quick reply, I'll be ordering the supplies tonight. I picked up another 12-pack while on lunch today and had to fight the urge to crack one before heading back to the office. Did you go with the 1# of 80?

With any luck my kegging/kegerator components will arrive and be ready to go by the time it's done. My neighbor has copious amounts of homegrown cascade & centennial whole hops that will get added to the serving keg to try and duplicate that "fresh hop" aroma/taste.

Looks like I did 13 lbs 2 row and 1.5 lbs Crystal 60. The color is just about perfect. C80 could just as well give you the same or similar, but that's what I did.

Way to go on the homegrown whole hops! Let me know how it goes!

Finally got to brew this up yesterday, things went smoothly and I hit 1.070 for my OG. This is the first time I've used Chinook hops and WOW the boil smelled fantastic! Checked it this morning and it was already churning away.

Looks like the original recipe called for 3 days dry hopping in secondary. Is that what you guys ended up doing? I've been going at least a week for my other dry-hopped brews to allow time for things to settle.

Looks like the original recipe called for 3 days dry hopping in secondary. Is that what you guys ended up doing? I've been going at least a week for my other dry-hopped brews to allow time for things to settle.

A week is fine, 3 days is to short a time imo.

__

I'm about to keg my second batch of this. The first one was outstanding. I did a blind taste test with SWMBO and we both agreed the clone was better than the original. I think it had something to do with the yeast (not a big fan of Chico) and probably the freshness / dry hopping factor. Color and head retention was about a close as it gets too.

My grain bill was slightly different due to what was available at the LHBS, I ended up with:
12# Pale Malt 2-Row (US)
1# Crystal 80
.5# Vienna

The hop schedule was the same. Pitched Wyeast Labs #1056 both times, no starter.
Just realized I may have done a 60 min boil instead of 90 the second time around, guess we'll see if it makes much difference. My OG was a little higher the second time - 1.074 vs. 1.070, but the FG ended up lower - 1.013 vs 1.022. Not sure if that is related to the boil time or something else in my process. But one thing I know for sure is that I can't wait to have this on tap again.

Many thanks to Dude and the other contributors for a great recipe!

So I'm all psyched up about brewing this one! I've never tried SNCA but it sounds great. I'm going with Dude's recipe but I think I'm going to up the Chinook early in the boil to hit the 65 IBUs that SN specifies on their website for Celebration. I'm going from this recipe

Alright, I'm set. I'm brewing tomorrow.
Here is the final recipe. I think we are close. :)

Celebration Ale

BJCP Style and Style Guidelines
14-B India Pale Ale, American IPA

Min OG: 1.056 Max OG: 1.075
Min IBU: 40 Max IBU: 72
Min Clr: 6 Max Clr: 15 Color in SRM, Lovibond

Recipe Specifics
Batch Size (Gal): 5.50 Wort Size (Gal): 5.50
Total Grain (Lbs): 13.50
Anticipated OG: 1.065 Plato: 15.79
Anticipated SRM: 9.6
Anticipated IBU: 62.0
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75 %
Wort Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Grain/Extract/Sugar
% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
90.6 12.00 lbs. Pale Malt(2-row) America 1.036 2
6.0 1.00 lbs. Crystal 80L America 1.033 90
3.8 0.50 lbs. Cara-Pils Dextrine Malt 1.033 2

Hops
Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
1.00 oz. Chinook Whole 13.00 48.0 60 min
1.00 oz. Centennial Whole 10.50 7.8 10 min
1.00 oz. Cascade Whole 5.75 4.2 10 min
1.00 oz. Cascade Whole 5.75 0.0 Dry Hop
1.00 oz. Centennial Whole 10.50 0.0 Dry Hop
1.00 oz. Chinook Whole 13.00 0.0 Dry Hop

Pluggin this into Beer Smith only gives me about 54 IBUs. If I bump up chinook .5 oz at 60 minutes, this will give me almost 64 IBUs at 75% effeciency which is just fine for me.

Any ideas? I'd to order all of my supplies tonight since I don't have a LHBS

My grain bill is listed above, only difference is I used Vienna instead of Carapils. I did pretty much the same hop schedule but used Galena instead of the Chinook for dry hops. Not sure how much of a difference it made, sure it's awesome either way. This is the Mrs. favorite brew of mine to so far, we just kicked the keg a week ago and she's already requested it again.

Yes, from what I understand 1056/WLP001/US-05 are all Chico/Ballantine strains and are practically the same. But there's something about (most of) Sierra Nevada's brews that have a sort of yeasty bite to them that I don't really like. Maybe it's just the way they bottle condition, or maybe it's their particular "house" yeast... I have used all three of the aforementioned brands and none of my beers ended up with that aftertaste, even the bottle conditioned ones.

Now that you mention that I can pick up on that some. I had a SN pale ale last night and tasted it. I don't really mind it I guess but should I harvest some yeast from one of those bottles or just use a bought Chico/Ballantine strain?

I've actually considering doing that for the next batch to see if there really is a difference in the taste based on their yeast vs. WLP001. Seems like a lot of extra work though when I'm already happy with the results from WLP001.

You can't go wrong either way, it's a great recipe.

Even still, it might be pretty fun to harvest yeast from a few bottles like that. I get a kick out of doing things that make me feel like a mad scientist

I'm going to brew this recipe this weekend and have one question - am I reading the 90 minute boil/first hops at 60 minutes right? What is the purpose of boiling for 30 minutes before the first hop addition? I'm sure there is one, but I'm curious.

There is a point I believe in very extended boils where the hop acids actually begin to break down and you lose utilization. It was discussed on a brew network podcast. It is only a concern in boils well over 60 minutes. So I'd guess the hop additions begin at 60 to avoid this possibility.

As to why a 90 minute boil is chosen in this recipe, boils in the 90 minute range are thought to remove just about all DMS. An aggressive 60 minute boil gets most of the DMS out (except where Pilsner is a dominant part of the grist), but many home and professional brewers choose to go to a 90 minute boil to ensure it is more completely removed. Generally, many prefer boiling all worts with a significant Pilsner component for 90 minutes. Some just choose to boil all worts for 90 minutes.

Brewing up a SN Celebration Ale cloner tomorrow in honor of Jan 8th being my very first batch (last year).
I derived a recipe from the specs for SNCA on the Sierra Nevada site:

Celebration Ale

BJCP Style and Style Guidelines
14-B India Pale Ale, American IPA

Min OG: 1.056 Max OG: 1.075
Min IBU: 40 Max IBU: 72
Min Clr: 6 Max Clr: 15 Color in SRM, Lovibond

Recipe Specifics
Batch Size (Gal): 5.50 Wort Size (Gal): 5.50
Total Grain (Lbs): 13.50
Anticipated OG: 1.066 Plato: 16.12
Anticipated SRM: 11.9
Anticipated IBU: 62.0
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75 %
Wort Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Grain/Extract/Sugar
% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
88.8 12.00 lbs. Pale Malt(2-row) America 1.036 2
7.4 1.00 lbs. Crystal 90L America 1.033 90
3.8 0.50 lbs. Cara-Pils Dextrine Malt 1.033 2

Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops
Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
1.00 oz. Chinook Whole 13.00 48.0 60 min
1.00 oz. Centennial Whole 10.50 7.8 10 min
1.00 oz. Cascade Whole 5.75 4.2 10 min
1.00 oz. Cascade Whole 5.75 0.0 Dry Hop
1.00 oz. Centennial Whole 10.50 0.0 Dry Hop
1.00 oz. Chinook Whole 13.00 0.0 Dry Hop

I have questions for you guys though....first, I want to get the right color, so I'm using crystal 90L. I would assume crystal 60 is the caramel malt they use, but I can't get the right color using that. Think 90L will affect the flavor too much? I don't want that raisiny flavor that I might get from using a pound of crystal 90L. Your thoughts?

I am going to make this my next brew was wondering what the mash schedule was also what you did as far a fermentation how long in primary and secondary

I am going to make this my next brew was wondering what the mash schedule was also what you did as far a fermentation how long in primary and secondary

I've brewed this a couple of times, based on my notes the first time I mashed for 60mins @ 155, ended up with 1.070 OG / 1.020 FG. Second time I went a little lower, 60mins @ 153, ended up 1.074 OG / 1.021 FG.

Around 10-14 days in primary, then another 7-10 days for dry hopping (don't think I transferred to a secondary, I'm usually lazy).

This recipe is fantastic. It was my 2nd AG brew when I was starting out and it really went a long way towards convincing the Mrs that my hobby was worth the time/money. She's a big fan of SN Celebration and in multiple taste tests she picked mine over the original.

I brewed it again about 4 months later with some more experience and a couple changes to my process and it was even better. I think the main difference was that I started using filtered water instead of straight from the tap which made a noticeable improvement to all my beers.
:mug:

Has anyone brewed this recently? Any changes? I just made my started today and plan on brewing this saturday.

I thought I had cascade hops in the freezer so I only got one ounce. Turns out I had simcoe in the freezer. I don't know if dry hopping with simcoe in place of cascade would be bad or not. Any thoughts?

Back