Recipe for easy APA?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nspaldi0

Reaction score
I would like to brew this today or tomorrow and was wondering if anyone had a good recipe for an APA using Amarillo and simcoe hops. I would like to brew something like Dudes lake walk but I read the thread and didn't see an extract version. I may have missed it. Anyways, I would really appreciate a good Apa extract recipe. Thanks!

I'm brewing an extra pale ale this weekend, using only Amarillo hops. Here's the recipe:

5lbs Extra Light DME
1lb Carapils
.5lbs Crystal 40L

1oz Amarillo (60 min)
1oz Amarillo (15 min)
1.5oz Amarillo (5 min)
.5oz Amarillo (dry hop in secondary)

US-05 Yeast

The wheat and toasted malt make that difficult to replicate with extract. You could use some biscuit malt to get the toasted flavor. The grain bill is something like this:

5 lb Pale Liquid Extract
1 lb Wheat Dry Extract
1 lb Belgian Biscuit Malt
8 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L

I wouldn't use two pounds of biscuit malt.

do it as a mini-mash:

Steep the following at 152-155F in a grain bag in ~10 quarts of water for an hour, stirring every few minutes:
-2lbs 2row
-2lbs 2row that's been toasted in a 300 degree oven for 30 minutes
-1/2lb flaked wheat
-1/2lb c-60

Drain the grain bag into the pot, and discard. Bring to a boil, and add hops according to the recipe, but increase the 60 minute additions by 25% or so to account for reduced utilization from a partial boil. At 15 minutes from the end of the boil, add in 3lbs of extra-light DME.

Top up with water, chill to 65F, and pitch your yeast

Thanks guys for the replies. I really want to do the all-grain version as my first allgrain but with my new job I'm traveling so much I haven't had time to finish my rig. It's been 2 months since I last brewed! Can't wait to try this one out. I appreciate your help.
Cheers,
Nick

Back