Recipe for Cinco De Mayo

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skarekrough

Reaction score
So, I've been enlisted to put together a keg for a Cinco De Mayo party.

Generally I'm not a huge light beer fan. I'll drink Corona now and again but it's more of a substitute for water than it actually being a beer that I consume to enjoy beer.

I'd like to try and brew something that's obviously locale appropriate, but also interesting and not easy to get ahold of.

Can anyone maybe suggest a good clone recipe that would fit the bill?

Thanks for all the help.

As far as I know "Mexican" beers are all light lagers which are really more German style originally...

Maybe try thinking of some distinctly Mexican adjuncts that could be used to make a decent beer? A friend of mine made a tasty Chipotle Porter.

Dos XX, Tecate, Corona clone. Check with Austin Homebrew Supply and see what they have.

NRS

All the beers that we think of as Mexican style, are lagers. Make sure that you have the equipment and time to brew and lager them.

Jalapeno or Habanero Beer is something I have wanted to try. I figure I would make a light "corona" type beer and bottle 3/4 of the batch normally then add habanero to 6 and jalapeno to 6.

Vienna lager... negra modello is one ... you could probably pull this off also with a neutral ale yeast also

I knew about the brew from DFH (from one of the episodes I barely watched)... The entire chewing and spitting out to actually go into the brew turned me off though. I can understand wanting to follow the original recipe and all, but there are more modern ways to do things...

Of course, it would be nice to know what the grain bill should be for the brew... As well as the other ingredients. At least percent values of things.

I agree. I cold have done without the chewing and spitting part.

IMO I think it was more of a TV stunt. As far as reproducing these 1000 year old recipes, I think its more about embodying the idea more so that the actual techniques. Our technology and knowledge has came so far that I am willing to bet that the drink the made would be almost unpalatable to us.

Very true... Plus, we can mash malt with the corn to aid in conversion and such...

Could be more like a chocolate cream ale, when you think about it. Use a yeast that ferments mostly clean, or ferment at temps that it comes out more clean. Us a little crystal 60 in with it and you might have a weiner... :rockin:

Latest posts

Back