Recipe for a Dark Wheat Beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My fiance bought me a box recipe kit for a Cherry Wheat this Christmas. I want to use it to brew a dark wheat beer, but I'm not quite sure how to modify the recipe the right way. Here's what's in the box:

5 # Wheat
1 # 2 row
1 oz German Hersbrucker
1 oz US Tettnang
Munich Wheat Beer Yeast
Bottle of Cherry Flavoring

Also left over from other brews - 3 lbs Briess DME Golden Light (not useful?) and Muntons Ale Yeast

In the other posts about this some people have suggested changes as simple as adding a pound of Chocolate Malt to a standard wheat beer recipe. What other ideas are there out there? I'm not near experienced enough to attempt brewing a strong dark belgian like a Trappiste Rochefort 10 clone, but any ideas about what kinds of malt I could add to get that dark, rich color?

Also, if I add more dark malt should I just chuck the Cherry Flavoring or throw that in there too? (prob more of an opinion but i'm open to input!)

I'm partial to a straight Dunkelweizen and you could get one by adding 3-4 oz. of Breiss Midnight Wheat Malt. Alternatively if you like more roasted bitterness you could add the same quantity of Weyermann's Chocolate Wheat Malt. You'll get the darker color with the Midnight Wheat Malt and a more roasted character with the Chocolate Wheat Malt. I'm not too partial to the Munich Wheat Dry Yeast and definitely not the Muntons Ale Yeast. I'd only use them in a pinch. I'd suggest using the Wyeast 3333 German Wheat Yeast personally. Also I'd suggest using more even quantities of 2 row barley and Wheat Malt rather than the 5:1 ratio so I'd figure adding in some of the DME to balance things out. Make the malt quantities come out to give you a wheat ale at or right around the 5% ABV point and IBUs in the high teens low 20's percent range. Good luck, have fun and kiss the fiancé, especially if she helps out on brew day.

Back