RECIPE for a crisp, hoppy SMaSH, that will be a go to recipe.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alan Parrotte

Reaction score
Who has a good SMaSH recipe?
I am brewing 5 gallon BIAB batches.
I have a 11 gallon boil pot.
Did I mention CRISP AND HOPPY?

Thanks fellow brewers.

Can’t go wrong with Golden Promise and Amarillo! I’ve heard good things about Denali too but I haven’t tried it. A tsp of Gypsum in the mash should get you some hoppy crispness.

You're not going to get much for a "recipe" since SMaSH is really on 2 ingredients. What flavors do you want/like? What commercial beers would you like to emulate that define "CRISP and HOPPY"?

Malts that do well in SMaSH - 2 row, Maris Otter, Golden Promise, Optic, Pilsner, several more...
Hops that do well in SMaSH - Mosaic, Galaxy, Amarillo, Citra, Loral, Cascade, Simcoe, Comet, El Dorado, Lemondrop, Idaho 7, a boatload more...

As you can see there are lots of combinations that you can try, but you need to figure out what flavors you like.

A couple things to keep in mind;
Mash really low, 148ish.
Use an attenuative yeast American (WLP001,1056, US05) or English (WLP002, 1968, S04)

Drew Beechum likes to talk about his Expanded SMaSH, or "Brewing on the ones" that he likes to use and it basically consists of this:

One Base Malt
One Color/Flavor/Adjunct Malt
One Sugar (if added)
One Spice (if added)

Use a High Alpha hop for the bittering addition - he always recommends Magnum

Then hop as you like with a flavor and aroma addition, I would also include whirlpool and dry hop additions as well.

He also suggests to use less Crystal malts and use Vienna or Munich instead.

Look up yellow rose clone recipe on here. My favorite smash beer I have made so far and at 10 oz of Mosaic, it’s plenty hoppy.

I did an all 2 row Galaxy with about 55 ibu and 5% abv. Such a refreshing, crisp Summer sipper!

12 lbs 2 row
1 oz Galaxy @60min
4oz Galaxy whirlpool @160F
2 2oz dry hops a week apart

hi.

the key to achieving "crisp" is all about the pH of the final beer.

Best to target 5.2 for the mash and you should get a 4.3 or 4.4 final beer pH.

This will get you a crisp finish.

To compliment the crispness you can either finish dry or close to dry, full bodied doesnt align with crisp.

and for hoppy thats probably the easy part.

Can’t go wrong with Golden Promise and Amarillo! I’ve heard good things about Denali too but I haven’t tried it. A tsp of Gypsum in the mash should get you some hoppy crispness.
I did this combo for my first all grain and it was great!

4.8% abv with 5oz of amarillo. I could have drank that beer all day.

Or a cream ale is a sort of smash beer. My recipe is Pilsen Malt + Liberty hops + corn and sucrose as adjuncts. That beer is very crisp and super crushable.

There are countless great options out there

I appreciate all the input and will be cooking a 5 gal. batch today.
10 pounds of Golden promise with Cascade. I just bottled my first Smash which was Marris otter and Cira. It tasted great when I bottled it!

golden promise and mosaic.
11.5 lbs Golden Promise
mash at 149
boil 60 min.
30 min. 1 oz mosiac
5 min. 2 oz mosaic
whirlpool 2 oz mosaic
yeast of your choice
dry hop on day 3 of active ferm. 2 oz mosaic

Back