Recipe feedback - attempt at cloning Renaissance Stonecutter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eddiewould

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

Looking for some recipe feedback. Attempting to get close to the Renaissance Stonecutter.

Code:
Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 32.14 l
Post Boil Volume: 27.86 l
Batch Size (fermenter): 23.00 l   
Bottling Volume: 20.16 l
Estimated OG: 1.079 SG
Estimated Color: 51.5 EBC
Estimated IBU: 27.8 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.60 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 82.2 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt                   Name                                     Type          #        %/IBU         
5.00 kg               Pale Malt, Golden Promise (Thomas Fawcet Grain         1        59.9 %        
1.00 kg               Gladfield Vienna Malt (6.8 EBC)          Grain         2        12.0 %        
0.50 kg               Caraaroma (Weyermann) (350.7 EBC)        Grain         3        6.0 %         
0.50 kg               Carared (Weyermann) (47.3 EBC)           Grain         4        6.0 %         
0.50 kg               Gladfield Biscuit Malt (60.0 EBC)        Grain         5        6.0 %         
0.50 kg               Gladfield Medium Crystal Malt (111.0 EBC Grain         6        6.0 %         
0.30 kg               Gladfield Shepherds Delight Malt (300.0  Grain         7        3.6 %         
0.05 kg               Peat Smoked Malt (5.5 EBC)               Grain         8        0.6 %         
60.00 g               Fuggles [5.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min         Hop           9        24.6 IBUs     
40.00 g               Fuggles [5.00 %] - Boil 5.0 min          Hop           10       3.3 IBUs      
1.0 pkg               London ESB Ale (Wyeast Labs #1968) [124. Yeast         11       -             

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 8.35 kg
----------------------------
Name                    Description                             Step Temperat Step Time     
Mash In                 Add 24.81 l of water at 72.4 C          66.7 C        60 min        

Sparge: Batch sparge with 2 steps (1.14l, 17.59l) of 75.6 C water
Notes:

I read an interview with the brewer and they said they used 9 different malts, including peat-smoked malt (before I take any flack for using peat smoked malt in a scotch ale).

If I make a 2L starter of the 1968 yeast on Wednesday, would I be good to pitch on Saturday? NB I've never made a starter before, but I've just completed & tested my stirplate. Seems to work well!

How was the flavor with that percentage of Shepherd's Delight and Biscuit from Gladfield? I just got some of those malts and wanted to try them out. I'm just not sure on how much to use. I was going to go with 300 g of Shepherd's Delight and some Redback and Aurora as well.

Cheers!

Sorry for the delay on this! I was really happy with the outcome of this. Ended up using two packs of the Scottish Ale yeast (1728) - no starter - instead of 1968.

Amount of peat is just right for my tastes. I overshot my OG a bit and hence it's a little bit too strong (8%ish) and a little too dark. I think it would be almost perfect if I hit OG.

Still, very happy with this.

Back