recipe diagnoses...feedback?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here is what I would do:

1oz warrior at 60,
1oz each cascade, simcoe, citra at 5/0
1oz each citra in Summit @ 180 for a 30min Hop Steep
Dry hop with the rest

1 oz warrior @ 60
2 oz simcoe @ 30
1 oz amarillo @ 15
3 oz citra dry hop

Here is what I would do:

1oz warrior at 60,
1oz each cascade, simcoe, citra at 5/0
1oz each citra in Summit @ 180 for a 30min Hop Steep
Dry hop with the rest

+1 I'm a fan of saving all my hops for the last 5 minutes and steep

I pretty much agree with everyone...

Warrior (or Magnum or Millennium) scream bittering hop addition.

Citra is great (as a very late addition or dry hop) so split it 50/50 between dry and flameout.

I dry hopped with Falconer Flight before and loved it. It is a blend of hops already so I think you might have a few too many variates. (not saying it can't be done but it may just be wasted or muddy up the hop character)

I did a similar beer and put the Amarillo in at 10 minutes. I could not tell it was even in there. Maybe it added some complexity but Simcoe would be a lot more prominent.

So, that's my 2 cents... much the same as the others but maybe keep the Amarillo, Summit and Cascade for another day.

I pretty much agree with everyone...

Warrior (or Magnum or Millennium) scream bittering hop addition.

Citra is great (as a very late addition or dry hop) so split it 50/50 between dry and flameout.

I dry hopped with Falconer Flight before and loved it. It is a blend of hops already so I think you might have a few too many variates. (not saying it can't be done but it may just be wasted or muddy up the hop character)

I did a similar beer and put the Amarillo in at 10 minutes. I could not tell it was even in there. Maybe it added some complexity but Simcoe would be a lot more prominent.

So, that's my 2 cents... much the same as the others but maybe keep the Amarillo, Summit and Cascade for another day.

So would you recommend only using around 3 hop varieties?

I cold crash my primary(glass Carboy) just remember to remove the airlock. You can double dry hop this way also. Once in the primary, cold crash, in the secondary, cold crash(or not on the second one)

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Newb AG here. Why remove the airlock when cold crashing???? I plan on dryhoping in my primary bucket for 5 days in muslin bags, do I still need to A) cold crash and if so remove the airlock too. I do have a 5 Gal glass carboy, better to rack to that and dry hop after 14 days, cold crash then bottle. With my setup I transfer with an autosiphon so the less hop mess to worry about the better. Sorry for thread jack.

Newb AG here. Why remove the airlock when cold crashing???? I plan on dryhoping in my primary bucket for 5 days in muslin bags, do I still need to A) cold crash and if so remove the airlock too. I do have a 5 Gal glass carboy, better to rack to that and dry hop after 14 days, cold crash then bottle. With my setup I transfer with an autosiphon so the less hop mess to worry about the better. Sorry for thread jack.

Do not remove airlock!!!! If you have an S shaped airlock you will be fine. Just fill it to the appropriate line with star San water. I just bottled my IPA and the sample was insanely delicious. Don't transfer to secondary. Just dry hop right in the fermenter for 3 days, cold crash for 2 DAYS. 5 days total hop contact. Just enough, believe me. No need for muslin bags either

This is my first all grain recipe I put together. Want comments and suggestions. Brewing a IIPA. 1.O82 OG. 5 gallon batch.

Grains:
13 lbs 2 row
12 oz Vienna Malt
12 oz Carapils
8 oz local orange blossom honey

Hops:
1 oz warrior FWH
1 oz simcoe 20 mins
1 oz cascade 5 mins
1 oz simcoe 5 mins
1 oz citra 5 mins
1 oz amarillo 170F hop steep 15 mins
1 oz citra 170F hop steep 15 mins
Dry Hop:
1 oz citra
1 oz falconers flight

Yeast: White Labs Dry English Ale

Haha, that's better. I was about to reply and suggest that 2 oz of hops in an IIPA might be a touch light...

This is my first all grain recipe I put together. Want comments and suggestions. Brewing a IIPA. 1.O82 OG. 5 gallon batch.

Grains:
13 lbs 2 row
12 oz Vienna Malt
12 oz Carapils
8 oz local orange blossom honey

Hops:
1 oz warrior FWH
1 oz simcoe 20 mins
1 oz cascade 5 mins
1 oz simcoe 5 mins
1 oz citra 5 mins
1 oz amarillo 170F hop steep 15 mins
1 oz citra 170F hop steep 15 mins
Dry Hop:
1 oz citra
1 oz falconers flight

Yeast: White Labs Dry English Ale

Haha, that's better. I was about to reply and suggest that 2 oz of hops in an IIPA might be a touch light...

Tablet descided to post on its own. That would be humerous if that was all the hops i would use. This is the updated recipe up top.

Looks good.
Only point I would raise is that with all those beautiful hops you will not notice the orange blossom honey.
I would use simple sugar in its place and use the honey in a beer which will let it shine, like a saison.

You remove the airlock to prevent suck back, often the contraction of the cooling beer will pull your airlock liquid into the carboy/bucket. Not an issue w/ the one piece s shaped air locks, however it is w/ the 3 piece ones. Personally, I pull the airlock, dump the star san & reinsert without liquid.

IIPA

Batch size: 5 gallons
Boil time: 60 mins
Est. OG : 1.084
IBU : 100.4
Color : 5.1 SRM
Est ABV : 8.5%
Total hops : 9 oz

Grain Bill:
13 lbs pale 2-row 82.5%
12 oz Vienna Malt 3.5 SRM 4.8%
12 oz Cara-pils 2.0 SRM 4.8%
4 oz flaked Oats, lightly toasted 1.6%

Miscellaneous:
12 oz local orange blossom honey
4 oz sucrose table sugar
.25 tsp irish moss

Hop Schedule:
.5 oz Warrior FWH
.5 oz summit 60 min
.5 oz warrior 60 min
.5 oz cascade 20 mins
1 oz citra 5 mins
.5 oz cascade 5 mins
.5 oz simcoe 5 mins
.5 oz summit 5 mins
1 oz amarillo steep 170F 30 min
1 oz citra steep 170F 30 min
.5 oz Simcoe steep 170F 30 min

Dry Hop :
1 oz citra 5 days
1 oz simcoe 5 days

Yeast :
WLP007 Dry English Ale

That sounds good! I have a ton of homegrown cascades and centennial to use up, and a friend gave me a pound of citra. I think I see a "Three Cs" type of beer coming. Make sure you let us know how it comes out in the end!

About dryhopping- while you can certainly dryhop any time you'd like, generally you get the most out of it if you package immediately after dryhopping. In other words, dryhop last.

If you're going to transfer, age, add finings, etc, I'd do that all first and dryhop for the last 3-7 days right before bottling. Hops aromas are the very first thing to fade, so dryhopping and then aging the beer a week or two before bottling gives a bit of time for the aroma to already start dissipating.

This beer was delicious

IIPA

Grain Bill:
13 lbs pale 2-row 82.5%

Mash:
156F for 60 minutes

Miscellaneous:
4 oz sucrose table sugar
.25 tsp irish moss
(When to add honey and sugar?)

Hop Schedule:
.5 oz Warrior FWH
.5 oz summit 60 min
.5 oz warrior 60 min
.5 oz cascade 20 mins
1 oz citra 5 mins
.5 oz cascade 5 mins
.5 oz simcoe 5 mins
.5 oz summit 5 mins

Dry Hop :
1 oz citra 5 days
1 oz simcoe 5 days

Yeast :
WLP007 Dry English Ale

IIPA

Grain Bill:
13 lbs pale 2-row 82.5%

Mash:
156F for 60 minutes

Miscellaneous:
4 oz sucrose table sugar
.25 tsp irish moss

Hop Schedule:
.5 oz Warrior FWH
.5 oz summit 60 min
.5 oz warrior 60 min
.5 oz cascade 20 mins
1 oz citra 5 mins
.5 oz cascade 5 mins
.5 oz simcoe 5 mins
.5 oz summit 5 mins

Dry Hop :
1 oz citra 5 days
1 oz simcoe 5 days

Yeast :
WLP007 Dry English Ale

IIPA

Grain Bill:
13 lbs pale 2-row 82.5%

Mash:
156F for 60 minutes

Miscellaneous:
4 oz sucrose table sugar
.25 tsp irish moss

Hop Schedule:
.5 oz Warrior FWH
.5 oz summit 60 min
.5 oz warrior 60 min
.5 oz cascade 20 mins
1 oz citra 5 mins
.5 oz cascade 5 mins
.5 oz simcoe 5 mins
.5 oz summit 5 mins

Dry Hop :
1 oz citra 5 days
1 oz simcoe 5 days

Yeast :
WLP007 Dry English Ale

IIPA

Grain Bill:
13 lbs pale 2-row 82.5%

Mash:
156F for 60 minutes

Miscellaneous:
4 oz sucrose table sugar
.25 tsp irish moss

Hop Schedule:
.5 oz Warrior FWH
.5 oz summit 60 min
.5 oz warrior 60 min
.5 oz cascade 20 mins
1 oz citra 5 mins
.5 oz cascade 5 mins
.5 oz simcoe 5 mins
.5 oz summit 5 mins

Dry Hop :
1 oz citra 5 days
1 oz simcoe 5 days

Yeast :
WLP007 Dry English Ale

I would add the honey and sugar at either 5 minutes or flameout. 156 mash temp for a IIPA seems really high. I'd knock it back to at least 152, or 150.

A 20 minute cascade addition won't give you much flavor or aroma. I'd consider moving it in with the 5 minute additions. Also, you may consider adding a couple more ounces of dry hops to really bring out that aroma, or move some of those 5 minute additions to the dry hop.

The reason for using sugar in an IPA is to dry it out. Use a lower mash temp or step mash. Add honey at flameout(you can also add it post krausen to get the most out of it). No it doesn't need to be boiled. Honey is so sterile you can heal wounds with it(seriously).I would do less 60min hops and hopstand all other additions(except dry hops.)

Personally I would double that dry hop! At least...

On a separate note - that hop schedule is busy as hell. What are you expecting to get from .5oz of cascade at 20 minutes? Why do FWH? Why have 2 bittering hops?

Also, why have honey AND sugar?

I agree. You can make a recipe with half of the work and have a better understanding of everything going in. Leave only warrior for bitrering. Summit, Simcoe, Amarillo, Cascade, and Citra will make for a damn good aroma profile. I might drop a few back though and really let a couple shine through. I don't see enough Summit lately so I would go with that and maybe citra. The honey too is a weird choice but I take it you've made or had a double ipa with it in it and feel it is a good choice.

Mash low, ferment low, and like skibb said, double the dry hop.

No... triple it!

2 oz summit
2 oz citra
1 oz Amarillo
1 oz simcoe

And let us know how it goes!

I think the recipe looks fine! I would suggest mashing lower than 156 though. The 007 yeast tends to attenuate a bit lower than the American yeasts and may leave you with a sweet iipa which wouldn't be what you want. Id mash closer to 150 if it were me.

In terms of adding the honey/sugar, I'd add it toward the end of the boil. You could add it anytime during the boil though. You could also add it after primary kicks off so that the yeast work through some of the more complex sugars first, which some say helps attenuation a bit (I haven't found this to help much)

Remember to aerate well and pitch lots of healthy yeast. Sounds good!

I agree, there are enough hops to have good head retention, and you need some sugar to dry it out. I would make a syrup and add it to the fermenter on day 3 or 4. I love the hop bill.

Personally I would double that dry hop! At least...

On a separate note - that hop schedule is busy as hell. What are you expecting to get from .5oz of cascade at 20 minutes? Why do FWH? Why have 2 bittering hops?

Also, why have honey AND sugar?

I only have 12 oz of honey and want a lb of sugar going in so those extra 4 oz of sugar would make it 16oz= 1 lb.

Back