Recipe critique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scottm1

Reaction score
Hi all, this is a recipe for a extract Dopplebock. I would like any and all advice for improvement on this.thanks for your input...

O.G @ 1.099 est./F.G. @ 1.019 est.
IBU'S @20.0. Color@ 19,5 SRM.

1LB. Special B Malt steep 30min @ 155f
15 Lbs. Pilsner lme boil 60mins.
5 oz. Hallertuar-Hersbrucker boil 60mins.
3 oz. Tettnang @ 10mins.
Yeast 3 white labs 833 for stater.

Thanks again for your thoughts!

Forgot it's a 5gal batch using a 3 stage lagering.

Can you get a munich malt based extract? That would work a lot, a lot better. Id use a lighter crystal, something like 60-80L, if you can get a munich based extract, The burnt raisin flavor, is a bit out of style, at least in that quantity.

Those are supposed to be 0.5 oz of hops, and 0.3 oz? Im sure 5 oz is probably more than 20 IBU. And 3 oz of flavor hops is way too much.

wlp833 is a great yeast. Make sure you pitch enough yeast. You need a ton of yeast. Use a calculator, like mr malty. If you dont, the beer will, turn out poorly. If you dont have the ability to make starters, either this is a good time to start, or id consider a dry yeast, and pitching enough packs.

Can sub special b with caramunich malt. And I used mr malty for the yeast starter set up. It will be a 3L starter. Also I used beer smith 2 to help with the hops and style its calculating them to reach 20ibu's at the oz's I have. The caramunich will drop the srm 11.5

Sure, the biggest problem is you are using pilsener malt as a base. An all grain doppelbock, would be ~80% munich type malts, its the main flavor in german examples.

If you cant get a munich extract, you can make a doppel maibock or something with pilsner malt, which will be different, but fine.

1. If using LME, add 1/3 at 60 minutes and 2/3 at 5 minutes or 0 minutes. This will help prevent fermentability problems with the LME.

2. This has more hop flavor than doppelbock. I don't use late hops in doppelbocks, some people use maybe 0.5oz

I agree with giraffe that this feels more like maibock.

Can get a Munich lme... So I will sub that for the pilsner lme also... Hops will be 2oz. Hallertuar in at 60 min. No tettang as a second. How is that looking?

Adjusted Munich to 14.5 lbs. And readjusted hop to 1oz.

Just noticed nobody responded. I think your subs look good, brew it! Let us know how it turns out.

Back