Recipe Credit?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

camonick

Mediocre brewer... Expert drinker
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
What does everyone think the requirements would be to be able to call a recipe your own? Is a simple ingredient or quantity modification enough of an alteration? Just the fact you brewed it with your own equipment and techniques? Using a different yeast strain? Different water profile?
Sometimes I use an existing recipe from an online company or one from the recipe/ingredients forum and modify it for my equipment or tastes. Sometimes it’s just a small change in the grain bill or hop additions. I’m reluctant to share these recipes sometimes for fear somebody will see it and say “hey that’s my recipe!” Is it necessary to give credit to the original even if it’s only a slight difference?
Just curious what opinions there are on the subject.
Sláinte

I would say give credit where it is due, does not hurt to say where you got inspiration for a recipe.

Adjustments for equipment or hop AA don't seem like a true recipe change.

Swapping out hops or grain bill changes to taste might but would still give credit to original recipe.

Yeast changes don't seem like a recipe change either, but could change the beer significantly so maybe. Again seems credit should be given to original.

If you brew to BJCP style or expectations of a particular kind of beers there will similarity to other recipes.

Meh, it's like writing music. If you really think no one's ever written the same little riff on guitar then you're delusional, case in point:

Think of all the people that homebrew, then add in all the professional brewpubs and big name producers. I guarantee SOMEONE out there has made your recipe or something very close to it. Think of the recipes your Mom has for bread or pie or whatever, where did she get them? Her Mom maybe? Maybe from a magazine, or on the back of a Campbell's soup can? But she tweaks it to her tastes, ingredients and the kids likes/dislikes, its HER recipe no? Same with beer IMO

This is all very subjective.

My opine is that if you start with a blank slate and assemble ingredients, that is your recipe regardless of any similarities.

But if you take a recipe from elsewhere for inspiration, then credit is due to that inspiration.

This is all very subjective.

My opine is that if you start with a blank slate and assemble ingredients, that is your recipe regardless of any similarities.

But if you take a recipe from elsewhere for inspiration, then credit is due to that inspiration.

I agree with this sentiment.

I think it's nice to give credit to the recipe creator if you'd like, but not required.

I think as long as you don't say "Hey, I make this recipe all by myself and it's great!" and then post it on the same forum you took it from where the Admin posted it originally, then you'd be fine. To do that is sort of a dick-ish move.

(Yes, it's happened to me- twice!).

On the other hand, I've had brewers give me tons of credit for nothing much- they improved the recipe with different grains, different yeast, and different hops- and STILL gave me the credit for a winning recipe.

I agree with Yooper. When I make someone else's recipe I will give credit to the originator. I have posted recipes that people requested that were mine and I have also given credit to others recipes when asked for the recipe. I know I have posted Gordon Strong's recipe a time or two and have given him credit as I got it from his book. Even if I tweaked it a little I still will give credit to the originator. Heck I am just happy the originator posted it in the first place as it gives us brewers more creative things to try.

John

I always try to give credit where it's due. If I've based my recipe on another I will link back to that original recipe when I post the new version on my website. I also try to disclose research on recipe's I've done. The Nugget Nectar recipe I recently brewed is a perfect example.

https://brewingaroundtherealm.com/brewing-a-nugget-nectar-clone-recipe-troegs-independent-brewing/

I listed the thread here that I started with as well as the interview and issue of BYO I based the recipe on. After posting that I had a few people reply with additional info that I will be listing the next time I brew this.

So yes, unless you've sat down and built a recipe from scratch with out looking at any source material. You should always include any references you've used.

Every beer recipe I’ve ever written is credited to the ancient Babylonians.

Thanks Enki and/or Ninkasi

It helps to give credit to the sources of inspiration for your recipe because it helps people see the thought process and gives them an opportunity to go back and follow that path themselves. I mean that for putting those recipes out on recipe sites or a blog. I wouldn't walk around telling people all of that information every time they try one of my beers.

If I brew it exactly as the source wrote it... I use their name. Example, Denny Conn Rye IPA. I have often seen Denny chime in on a post to someone who used different hops or another ingredient and he will say something to the effect, "with all due respect, you did not make my recipe". So if I use his recipe exactly as he wrote it then I call it Denny Conn's Rye IPA. If I make a Rye IPA using different ingredients of my choosing then I call MY rye IPA.

Just let me know who came up with the recipe "grain, water, hops, and yeast" and I'll give them credit ... because I've just been making minor adjustments to that one.

Back