Recipe check for a Coopers IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boomguy

Reaction score
So after lurking, reading and studying a few of the hundreds of threads on this forum I drew up a conservative recipe for a Coopers IPA that I picked up at the supermarket the other day to get back into brewing. This recipe would be based around the insrtuctions I found in the beginners forum for a partial mash add to beef up these kits as well as a good dose of hops that my wife and I grow in our garden.
Here it is...
1.7 kg Coopers IPA hopped extract
500 g of gambrinus 2 row
200 g of crystal 60
500g of amber lme
cascade hops 14g @ 45, 14g @ 25 , 14g@ 5
dry hop 42g in secondary

Please feel free to add or subrtract any of the quantities listed, technically I'm a noob when it comes to this.
I'm hoping that I have enough malt and grains to replace the traditional sugar that is usually added, but if I don't I do also have the coopers dry pack #2 that I could top up with.

thanks in advance

Since you've got a little under half a pound of crystal 60L in there,you could use plain light LME to keep the color more in line for an IPA. 500g of 2-row is about 1.3lb,so about 1.8lb of grains will make a small contribution,but not much in the way of fermentables. The 500g of LME combined with the Cooper's can & the grains should make the brew somewhere around OG 1.046.

Thanks unionrdr, I was a little concerned that I didn't have enough fermentables... glad I wrote the recipe in pencil:). I could increase the two row up to 2 lbs, I am a little hesitant to increase the crystal 60 only because of its apparent sweetness... with that in mind though more hops to offset that is not a bad thing:D, love hops. I also have a pound and a bit of light dme as well as the coopers brew enhancer #2, bought it before I found this forum, that I could use to help in the way of fermentables.

Yeah,don't increase the crystal 60L,that amounts ok. 2lb of 2-row is ok as well. Don't wanna get too far away from the Cooper's can in this case,since you want an IPA.

If this strays into the world of an Apa then I'm fine with that. Question for you, when using brew assist apps I have noticed that there isn't a setting for a kit, would you plug in 1.7 kg in a darker lme and boost the hops abit or is there a formula that you can follow?

I'm not real good with them yet,but they do have some extracts in them under grains or fermentables. You can input the info for them too. You have to set your particulat settings in My Equipment with beersmith2. You can delete one ingredient & input another,or input a different amount.

Cool thanks very much. I'm thinking on topping the fermentables up with the be#2, maybe about half of it, 500g, that should be a starting point of about 1.063 or so? I might have screwed up with the brew assist app.

You could add the BE2 500g,but that depends on if you want an IPA or head into IIPA territory. BE2 contains dextrose,maltodextrin,& light DME. So it's mostly dextrose.

When you are referring to a iipa do you mean in abv% because of the dextrose in the be#2? I can back off on that, just trying to use it up since it was sold to me and I don't like wasting money.
So at this point the recipe will be
1.7 kg can of thomas coopers ipa
2 lbs of 2 row
1/2 lb of crystal 60
1 lb of amber lme
1/2 lb of light dme
1 whirlfloc tablet
Cascade hops .5 ounce at 40,20, and 10 minutes with anouther 1 ounce dry hopped in secondary
I made a few changes based on what you had suggested...
Thanks again:)

So how did it go boomguy? High alcohol and high malt? Like a barleywine?

Cheers
PC

When you are referring to a iipa do you mean in abv% because of the dextrose in the be#2? I can back off on that, just trying to use it up since it was sold to me and I don't like wasting money.
2 lbs of 2 row
1/2 lb of crystal 60
1 lb of amber lme
1/2 lb of light dme
1 whirlfloc tablet
Cascade hops .5 ounce at 40,20, and 10 minutes with anouther 1 ounce dry hopped in secondary

So how did it go boomguy? High alcohol and high malt? Like a barleywine?

Cheers
PC

2 lbs of 2 row
1/2 lb of crystal 60
1 lb of amber lme
1/2 lb of light dme
1 whirlfloc tablet

Latest posts

Back