Recipe Calculator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daveooph131

Reaction score
I have typed an American pale ale recipe I want to brew into 2 different calculators online and the hop utilization is drastically different. Can someone help me determine which calculator is the most accurate?

I am doing a mini-mash.

3.00 British Two-row Pale
1.00 Munich Light
0.50 American Crystal 10L
0.50 Canadian Honey Malt
0.25 Victory Malt
3.00 Light Dry Malt Extract

Hops

0.75 Magnum Pellet (60 min)
0.25 Cascade Pellet (20 min)
0.25 Sterling Pellet (10 min)
0.25 Sterling Pellet (1 min)

Tastybrew.com has the following:

OG=1.051 @ 65% efficiency
IBU=60

Hopville.com

All ingrediants and AA% are the same...

OG=1.051
IBU=33.8

Also, the name of the hops IBU scale makes a big difference. On hopville you have several: Rager, tinseth, average, garetz, hopville.
I use tinseth, but it's only b/c it's the one I started with and am most familiar with.

Also, the name of the hops IBU scale makes a big difference. On hopville you have several: Rager, tinseth, average, garetz, hopville.
I use tinseth, but it's only b/c it's the one I started with and am most familiar with.

Not sure what you mean. I didn't have the option to change anything...However, on the right hand side it provides IBU and HBU. I'm reporting the IBU's.

I'm still really confused as to why there is such a disparity. Can anyone tell me which calculator is more accurate?

Not sure what you mean. I didn't have the option to change anything...However, on the right hand side it provides IBU and HBU. I'm reporting the IBU's.

I'm still really confused as to why there is such a disparity. Can anyone tell me which calculator is more accurate?

On the right side below where it says IBU, click where it says " edit" there is a small drop down menu.Click the little arrow and the choices will show.But it only shows when you have some weight of hops selected.
They are all pretty close/accurate to one another if you have them set the same.

On the right side below where it says IBU, click where it says " edit" there is a small drop down menu.Click the little arrow and the choices will show.But it only shows when you have some weight of hops selected.
They are all pretty close/accurate to one another if you have them set the same.

Alright, I see the drop down. The default seems to be the average. When I play around with the different averages none of them make the IBU's matchup with tastybrew. So I guess I'm asking which program is more accurate for actually IBU's per the hop schedule above?

I like hopville.I just did a side-by side with the same recipe and it showed drastically different ibus. At least on hopville you can choose different ibu scales.
You just have to pick one scale and become familiar with it.
From knowing how many ibus certain commercial beers have, and comparing it to my beers (which I used tinseth on) I believe hopville with the tinseth setting is the most accurate.

Back