Received Water Report, Input Appreciated

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tfratzke

Reaction score
I have brewed a handful of AG batches and have been happy with results. In effort to continue to learn, i decided to get a water report from Ward.
These are the results. I am curious as to what you guys think.

pH 7.5
Calcium (Ca) 64.0
Magnesium (Mg) 24.0
Sodium (Na) 15.0
Potassium (K) < 1
Bicarbonate (HCO3) 269.0
Carbonate (CO3) < 1
Sulfate (SO4) 18.0
Chloride (Cl) 36.0
Nitrate (NO3) 7.5
Total Alkalinity (CaCO3) 220
Total Hardness (CaCO3 260

I have been experimenting with Bru'n Water, but am struggling to grasp how i can lower my mash pH effectively, as right now it appears to be in the 6.1 range. It seems i can't get there simply by diluting with RO, yet when i attempt to add supplements, things get even worse.

Any insight is greatly appreciated. I have learned a lot from this site. It's a great place.

Thanks,
Tony

No, you can't lower mash pH below distilled water mash pH (5.6 - 5.8) with distilled (or RO) water but it only takes a little acid or acidulated malt to lower the pH of a distilled water mash into the favorable range. See the Primer in the Stickies.

It depends on the mash grist, but acidification is probably the best way to combat the very high alkalinity of that water. The Mg content is a little high, so dilution may be a desirable thing for many beers. Dilution will only partially solve the alkalinity issue, so acidification might still be needed. The rest of the profile is OK. Be prudent in adding minerals since you don't want to overdo it.

Lactic may not be the best alternative with this level of alkalinity since the taste threshold of lactic acid is higher than phosphoric acid. Phosphoric may be a better alternative. You can get 85% phosphoric acid from Duda Diesel fairly inexpensively. Buying 10% phosphoric from the LHBS can get expensive and you have to use a lot of it.

Thanks so much for the help and the tip on where to get phosphoric. This definitely points me in the right direction.

Tony

Back