Reason for a Stir Plate.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikeysab

Reaction score
Since I started brewing and visiting HBT 13 months ago, I've noticed that a lot of people do DIY projects. I enjoy them as well, and if I can save some cabbage by doing it myself, I'm all for it. One of the big DIY's has been the Stir Plate. I had two old computers sitting around, and figured I'd give it a shot. So I put the plate together, got it up and running and just couldn't wait to give it a shot. I'm planning a brew day this weekend, so i smacked my pack like it owed me 20 bucks and got a starter together. It went on the plate 18 hours ago, and I think something is wrong.

When I put the starter on the plate, it looked like wort with some little white flecks occasionally floating by. Every once in awhile, I'd notice one of the white flecks hold on to the inside of the flask. As I looked closer, I could see it was a yeast cell. He looked very scared, and I could see him mouth "Help me, please". He was crying, and looked sad. Eventually he let go and floated off into the vortex. As time went by, I'd check on the starter, and noticed it getting lighter and lighter. This morning I awoke and checked on the starter. I was shocked at what I saw. as I watched, I noticed a yeast cell grab onto the inside of my container with one hand. This guy looked like Conan the Barbarian. He was a monster, had a viking helmet on, and a battle axe in his other hand. As I watched him hold on with one hand, he winked at me and said "Is this all you got, biatch"? When he let go, he did a double back flip with a twist into the vortex yelling "Suck meeeeeeeee".

The starter, after 18 hours is FULL of yeast now. It looks like a blizzard inside my flask. I wasn't expecting such multiplication. I have to step my starter up to 3 liters this afternoon. I'll try and take some pictures of the before and the after to show the difference. If you've ever contemplated building, or buying a stir plate, it's a no brainer. This thing is amazing.

Nice artsy way of putting it...stir plate is probably in my top five list of additional equipment over basic needs.

Don't you know it's rude to stare at the yeast when they are fornicating? How would you like some big jerk eye balling you while your trying to do the nasty? Have some respect for your employees! Ain't it the truth, Pimping Ain't Easy!!!!

Don't you know it's rude to stare at the yeast when they are fornicating? How would you like some big jerk eye balling you while your trying to do the nasty? Have some respect for your employees! Ain't it the truth, Pimping Ain't Easy!!!!

When the room is spinning, who cares who's watching.

Don't you mean have some respect for the BOSS? All hail the mighty yeast.

HAHA, funny. [Goes immediately to McMaster Carr to order the rare earth magnets he needs to complete the stir plate]

Love it.

Just wait until you make a starter with 002 or 1968... when they're done multiplying, you KNOW. It's like a hurricane of cottage cheese.

HAHA, funny. [Goes immediately to McMaster Carr to order the rare earth magnets he needs to complete the stir plate]

You can get those magnets from a hard drive. If there is a computer recycling place near you, you could get some for pennies.

you should have seen these bastards when I stepped the starter up. about 20 of them were holding on to the stir bar swingin around like in gremlins with the ceiling fan. Some of them had signs up that said "More Wort Now".

Anyway, i guess the gig is up....none of that really happened. But this stir plate thing is awesome. I actually have extra magnets and maybe even an extra fan laying around if there's anyone in the staten island area that would wanna drop by and pick it up. I'm gonna keep just one to get the stir bar out of the starter. I think I actually need a bigger stir bar, cuz I don't get that good vortex going after stepping it up to 3 liters. I'm using a 1 gallon glass jug for now, and it's not very wide at the base. Anyway, it looks like everything is going fine, and can't wait to see how this beer turns out. I never realized how little yeast I'd been pitching till I used this stir plate.

Wow, after pitching the yeast into 10g of American Amber yesterday, I'm having a very active ferment. The BB is blowing off very nicely, and the coopers fermentor must have a leaky seal because I'm getting no airlock activity, but the kreusen is rising nicely. I can't believe how well the stir plate works. GET ONE NOW, PEOPLE

Back