Dark Mild Reaper's Mild, 1st place 2011 HBT Competition

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did you use rolled oats? They are geletanized already from the processing so the starches are readily usable in a mash without a seperate cereal mash.

As for starches it will add more body and a bit of haze to the beer but given the colour I doubt it will be noticed like it would in a light pale ale.

They were rolled oats. Quaker oats. However, they are the original and not the quick oats. It's kind of strange that the iodine test would keep telling me that conversion wasn't complete on a 158F mash after 90 minutes.

It's only been a few days, but I have taken a sample and can honestly say this batch is amazing!

FG ended up at 1.010.

With a gravity that low, I would say there was full conversion!

I know.

I also wanted to see how quickly I could get this beer moving and was able to have grain to glass in 5 days with what seems like no off flavor.

I kegged 5 gallons of this batch within 4 days of brew day and this first keg has a lot of haze, but that's it. It's amazing how quick the turn around is on this beer.

The next keg will be oaked, and the remaining 2 gallons will be bottled. These last two variations will sit on the yeast cake for another 10 days or so before I rack.

I'll post pics this weekend since I'm now out of the country.

I brewed a partial-mash version of this on 7/9. LHBS didn't have Caramel 60, so I subbed Caraamber (30 L), for the following:

Mash (@158 F, nominally):
1# 8 oz Caraamber
1# Marris Otter
6 oz Chocolate Malt

60 min boil:
12 oz light DME (60 m)
.65 oz Fuggles (45 m)
.65 oz Fuggles (15 m)
1# 10 oz light DME (5 m)

I used a no-chill approach. First time trying this, and it enabled me to brew in an evening after work mid-week, which was a huge plus. In this one-batch sample size, I encountered zero problems from no-chill. Very happy. Active period of the ferment was at ~70F and took < 48 hr.

Kegged 9 days after brewing (8 after starting fermentation). Force-carbed and ready within 24 hours (owing to the high serving temperature: my fridge takes a second day to push a beer below 40 F). Turned out to be a really delightful beer.

The one catch, which I have not figured out, is that I ended up 0.010 gravity above target: OG was 1.046 and FG was 1.020. I did have a pretty hard time controlling my mash temperature, so it varied all over the place.

The chocolate-malt flavor really comes through, which I found very entertaining. I mean, there is a component of the palate and the finish that tastes exactly like the raw chocolate malt smells.

Well-received by family. Only downside was that some of the week it was in keg it was blazing hot out, and I would preferred something pale and hoppy to something roasty. The low ABV was a godsend, though.

This stuff is so good. I will always have a variation of this on tap at my place.

Now it's off to perfect a Berliner Weisse.

This is going to be the first brew I make on my new system as soon as it's done, which I am hoping is in the next month or so. It sounds awesome! :-D

azscoob said:
I say that all too often...

But sometimes an oops leads to a revelation in a beer recipe or process! :rockin::rockin:

So I was on my iPhone app and I wanted to copy/paste the recipe to the notes section. I had to hit "quote" so that I could copy the text. Then I accidentally hit submit, thus reposting the OP. so I edited it with the word "oops"

DanH said:
So I was on my iPhone app and I wanted to copy/paste the recipe to the notes section. I had to hit "quote" so that I could copy the text. Then I accidentally hit submit, thus reposting the OP. so I edited it with the word "oops"

No worries, if you have questions just ask away!

I did like the random "oops" though.....

This warms my heart.

Both comments..:ban::ban:

If my current Berliner Weisse turns out as well as it seems to be (Sour mash is going great!), I might try a version of this with a sour mash.

Jester King released a sour version of their Commercial Suicide Oaked Mild in the past and it was fantastic!

However, they innoculated and aged in Oak barrels for quite some time. I'm just not that sure how this will do with just Lactobacillus from a short sour mash.

rockbasementbeer said:
I think this will be next just because it would go so good right now with the premier league match :mug:

I second that! I really need to get a fermentation chamber- my basement is still 71F and I'm in Portland OR! It's been Saison brewing for a while now but I might do the old wet Tshirt method just to get a batch of this going.
I am not working tomorrow so I may just stay up a little late tonight & knock out a batch of this. Already have all the grain, hops & some S-04.

I second that! I really need to get a fermentation chamber- my basement is still 71F and I'm in Portland OR! It's been Saison brewing for a while now but I might do the old wet Tshirt method just to get a batch of this going.
I am not working tomorrow so I may just stay up a little late tonight & knock out a batch of this. Already have all the grain, hops & some S-04.

Or as a last resort :D you could brew my cottage house saison recipe in this warmish tail end of summer! :ban:

Or as a last resort :D you could brew my cottage house saison recipe in this warmish tail end of summer! :ban:

Actually I have (on August 4th)! It is pretty much ready to put into the keg as soon as I finish off the Sour Mash Berliner Weiss!

Be careful. Nottingham is known to have a temper in the 70s. I've had a bad experience with Nottingham at 73.

I only ferment Nottingham at 65 or less now.

Be careful. Nottingham is known to have a temper in the 70s. I've had a bad experience with Nottingham at 73.

I only ferment Nottingham at 65 or less now.

Yeah, I'm not going to do it. I had S-04 but still will pass on that as well until I can get it into the 60's easily. I have nightmares of my earlier brewing days in Houston and some of the fusels...before I figured out about the importance of fermentation temperature control.

I brewed this and pitched my yeast (Nottingham) on Saturday but I have never gotten any major krausen like I do with every other beer I made. I know the sugar content of this beer is low so is this normal to not have a vigorous fermentation?

I can see the yeast moving about and I have airlock activity but I wanted to ask if this should be expected before I take a hydro sample after only 4 days.

I brewed this and pitched my yeast (Nottingham) on Saturday but I have never gotten any major krausen like I do with every other beer I made. I know the sugar content of this beer is low so is this normal to not have a vigorous fermentation?

I can see the yeast moving about and I have airlock activity but I wanted to ask if this should be expected before I take a hydro sample after only 4 days.

My batches have a nice Krausen head usually. However, if you have airlock activity and yeast movement,I wouldn't worry about it.

Go ahead and take a hydrometer sample to make sure.

My batches have a nice Krausen head usually. However, if you have airlock activity and yeast movement,I wouldn't worry about it.

Go ahead and take a hydrometer sample to make sure.

Took a hydro sample yesterday (after 5 days in primary) and I am at 1.014 so it looks like something took place. I just hope I can get down a few more points in the next couple days.

I sampled some of the beer and I must say it doesn't have the 'full flavor' I was expecting, I assume this thing needs at least a few weeks of conditioning?

Just brewed this as my first AG batch. Only wanted to do half a batch and added a couple ounces of honey malt. Had an OG of 1.037 (BeerSmith estimated a 1.043). Being my first AG, I ran into a few issues and see areas for improvement. Nonetheless, looking forward to trying this in a few weeks. Much more satisfying making an AG than an extract.

Just brewed this as my first AG batch. Only wanted to do half a batch and added a couple ounces of honey malt. Had an OG of 1.037 (BeerSmith estimated a 1.043). Being my first AG, I ran into a few issues and see areas for improvement. Nonetheless, looking forward to trying this in a few weeks. Much more satisfying making an AG than an extract.

More work, but it feels like you acheved something....

Took a hydro sample yesterday (after 5 days in primary) and I am at 1.014 so it looks like something took place. I just hope I can get down a few more points in the next couple days.

I sampled some of the beer and I must say it doesn't have the 'full flavor' I was expecting, I assume this thing needs at least a few weeks of conditioning?

What was your OG again? If it's light in body, likely more body won't come out with time. However, you could mess with C02 volume to adjust perceived body.

What was your OG again? If it's light in body, likely more body won't come out with time. However, you could mess with C02 volume to adjust perceived body.

OG was about 1.037 and I hit the mash temps spot on so I would guess that I should get the desired results. I bet I am just tasting green beer at this point but I was curious as to when this beer seemed to 'turn the corner' and become as great as everyone says.

OG was about 1.037 and I hit the mash temps spot on so I would guess that I should get the desired results. I bet I am just tasting green beer at this point but I was curious as to when this beer seemed to 'turn the corner' and become as great as everyone says.

English Milds are not for everyone. Don't expect it to have as much body as a porter , Brown, or Amber. It's a session ale barely in the 3% ABV range.

Now with that aside, it's still possible this could get better to your tastes with time. Just know that most sessions should be ready in a very short amount of time.

Trying this recipe now and is my first AG brew ever. I've done 3 extract brews recently so this is a whole new experience for me. I just popped the cherry on the mash tun and and anxious to try my new wort chiller soon.

I'm super nervous about it though. I just hope I am doing it correctly. I was originally going to brew something completely different but due to weather my LBHS didn't have all the grains I needed so I did a quick google search and ran across this recipe.

I looked it up on Beersmith but only found a recipe for a 11 gallon batch that uses a single infusion mash rather than the double batch sparge that's listed here.

I've got about 10 gallons of brew water ready to go just so I don't run out.

Just to be clear after the initial 60 minutes at 158F I vorlauf until clear, then let run in kettle till it stops, add 2.3 gallons at 170F to mash tun, vorlauf again till clear, drain into kettle and repeat?

Do I need to stir the grain bed after adding the 170F sparge water?

Trying this recipe now and is my first AG brew ever. I've done 3 extract brews recently so this is a whole new experience for me. I just popped the cherry on the mash tun and and anxious to try my new wort chiller soon.

I'm super nervous about it though. I just hope I am doing it correctly. I was originally going to brew something completely different but due to weather my LBHS didn't have all the grains I needed so I did a quick google search and ran across this recipe.

I looked it up on Beersmith but only found a recipe for a 11 gallon batch that uses a single infusion mash rather than the double batch sparge that's listed here.

I've got about 10 gallons of brew water ready to go just so I don't run out.

Just to be clear after the initial 60 minutes at 158F I vorlauf until clear, then let run in kettle till it stops, add 2.3 gallons at 170F to mash tun, vorlauf again till clear, drain into kettle and repeat?

Do I need to stir the grain bed after adding the 170F sparge water?
Yes, you have the process correct, I stir after adding the water as I find this helps my efficiency. I've been stirring and splitting my sparge additions where possible into two separate sparges and this along with milling my own grain has stuck me in a consistent 87% efficiency which has allowed me to use less grain to get my target numbers.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Thanks for the VERY quick reply guys. Not sure why I'm so nervous. I guess usually when I brew I have a step by step list so I can't screw anything up.

My mind is now at ease. I think it's time or a homebrew while I wait.

Thanks for the VERY quick reply guys. Not sure why I'm so nervous. I guess usually when I brew I have a step by step list so I can't screw anything up.

My mind is now at ease. I think it's time or a homebrew while I wait.

Having never brewed an extract batch, I guess I've never experienced the nervous feeling folks get while going all grain from extract.

There really isn't much difference after draining your mash tun into your kettle, and the mashing part is darned near how one makes oatmeal, and who is scared of making oatmeal? :D

Write down how much water to add at the beginning, figure out how much water the grain is going to absorb (I use this as my mash out addition)

Here is a generic set of numbers as an example...

I know I need to have 7 gallons pre boil and I added 3.5 gal at the mash in, then I add back my half gallon I lost to the grain absorption that means I have 3.5 gallons to sparge with, if I split it into two seperate sparges I need to add 1.75 gallons each time to hit my target in the kettle.

So that means my water additions are 3.5 gal initial amount, then .5 gal to make up for what was absorbed), then 1.75 gal first sparge, and 1.75 gal second sparge..... With it all written down ahead of time it's no more difficult than remembering your hop additions.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Back