really really stuck poppet

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yellowthere

Reaction score
So I tried to keg today and I see that I've got a really stuck in poppet. It is spewing co2 and I can't tighten it, I can't loosen it either. I've even tried hammering my wrench to loosen it with no success. I have other poppets, but I really don't want to lose a keg to this dumb problem. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Is this a new setup? Have you kegged before?

Sounds like the post is stuck, the poppet is the valve inside withe the spring on it... you wouldn't be putting a wrench on the poppet.

Do you have o-rings on the posts and dip tubes?

You can try depressing the poppet a couple times with a small screw driver to see if it will seat.

Do you have the right poppet for the keg?
If you have used this before it may not be the problem, but there are different poppets depending on the manufacturer of the keg. Sometimes the wrong oens will seal, sometimes not.

Good luck

could it be a case of wrong post on the gas side? maybe a coke keg with pepsi posts jammed on or vice versa?
I had a keg that had uber tight posts, I used my 1/2" impact gun to get them off, I guess they were tightened to less than 1000 ft/lb because it only took a quick blip to loosen them.

Is this a new setup? Have you kegged before?

Sounds like the post is stuck, the poppet is the valve inside withe the spring on it... you wouldn't be putting a wrench on the poppet.

Do you have o-rings on the posts and dip tubes?

You can try depressing the poppet a couple times with a small screw driver to see if it will seat.

Do you have the right poppet for the keg?
If you have used this before it may not be the problem, but there are different poppets depending on the manufacturer of the keg. Sometimes the wrong oens will seal, sometimes not.

Good luck

I've been kegging for a few years. This isn't a new keg either. Sorry I meant to say that my post is stuck. I could have accidently swapped the gas for the liquid like the following poster suggested. I've never seen anything get this stuck though. It may be a lost cause.

Put a fitting on top and see if that will hold. That Might get you by for this batch.
I had a stuck post and it took forever to get it out. I ended up destroying the little o-ring. It was a new---used keg so i dont know the history.

Put a fitting on top and see if that will hold. That Might get you by for this batch.
I had a stuck post and it took forever to get it out. I ended up destroying the little o-ring. It was a new---used keg so i dont know the history.

how did you end up getting your's off?

To get the post out i had to buy a big socket for my 1/2 in drive set and i had to put the breaker bar to it. Cant remember for sure what I did but the little poppet o-ring was the reason it was leaking. I tried everything to get the poppet out. I guess i cut the o-ring up and finality got he poppet out.

Latest posts

Back