Really nice MOSAIC pairings

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

radial67

Reaction score
Just had a friend drop off some mosaic hops and asked me to put together an IPA recipe for his birthday in 6 weeks time.

I have never used these hops and Ive only got 3oz to play with. Probably not enough to do a SMaSH experiment before brewing.

Can anyone suggest either a recipe (not a SMaSH) or successful hop pairings you have used with this hop. I have heard it can be quite overbearing.

Thanks

Can't help you with an exact recipe, but the best commercial beer I've had w mosaic (though they have been admittedly few) was top cutter ipa from bale breaker, the new brewery in Yakima. They used mosaic, ahtanum, simcoe, and maybe another. I loved the combo, and maybe it can be a bit of inspiration.

I think Simcoe is a perfect pairing for Mosaic. Mosaic is the Froot Loops of hops. If you wanted uber frutiy, you could use Citra with Mosaic, but that may be over the top (unless that is what you are looking for). Simcoe will give it that nice piney bite that is lacking in a super fruity hop.

I did an all Mosaic pale ale with 4 ounces of late hops (no dry hop) and there is more hop character in that beer than many of my IPAs that have heavy hop additionals and dry hopping.

I am dryhopping an IPA right now that has mosaic, a lot of simcoe, and a bit of Apollo. The samples have been very promising, as mentioned above the simcoe really balances the mosaic.

I've paired it with mostly everything and like it best with Amarillo. The citrusy crispness of Amarillo makes the sweeter/fruity flavors of Mosaic pop. Centennial would be my 2nd best suggestion.

thanks guys.

I have a bit of Simcoe in the freezer and might give that a go.

Will post a recipe here soon to see what everyone thinks

Back