American IPA Really Basic Galaxy Themed IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoeyChestnutFan

Reaction score
Recipe Type
Extract
Yeast
US-05
Yeast Starter
No
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Mmmm
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
12 @ 64-65F
Additional Fermentation
Dry Hop 3 Days
Tasting Notes
LOL amazing.
This was a basic experiment I did to really try out what Galaxy hops have to offer.

7 lbs. DME Golden Light
1 lbs. Crystal 40L

60 Mins - 1 oz. Warrior pellets
15 Mins - 1 oz. Galaxy pellets
5 Mins - 1 oz. Galaxy pellets
0 Mins - 1 oz. Galaxy pellets
Dry Hop - 3 oz Galaxy hops

Super simple recipe. Steeped Crystal for 30 mins at 155F. This tastes so yummy. I really like galaxy hops and they have a cool name :fro:. I suggest any of you guys new to brewing who like bitter beers and want to get away from the classic hops, give this a try! :tank::tank::tank:

Just did a smash that is similar with only galaxy and it is out of bounds! About 77 IBUs, smooth with great color!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Just did a smash that is similar with only galaxy and it is out of bounds! About 77 IBUs, smooth with great color!

You substituted the warrior with more galaxy? How was that? What would be the benefit of using warrior?

New brewer here. Dry Hop 3 Days means adding the hops with 3 days left, correct?

I did all galaxy, the warrior would just make it slightly more bitter with a little more hop bite. The all galaxy is a super aroma and has a big grapefruit and passion fruit taste.

I only have experience with dry hopping when transferring to a secondary. When adding dry hops to the primary, is it safe to just open it up and drop them in, or is there a better way to do it?

Yes it's fine I just add them straight to the primary. The only solid feedback I have is from a local big brewer who always reminds me to never dry hop longer than seven days, otherwise you get that grassy off taste from the hops sitting in there too long.
I never rack to a secondary. It's all opinion based. To me it's more risk than reward. All my beers come out clear and you just need to be more patient when bottling.

I'm going to be give this a shot this weekend. I plan on following JoeyChestnutFan's recipe pretty much exactly, but I was going to leave it in the primary for 14 days and dry hop the last 5 days.

If I were to add irish moss, would that be done at the 15 minute hop addition?

Ive seen warrior listed at 16-20 and then at 15-17. I was thinking chinook may be good as well

I'm contemplating swapping out the warrior for some columbus or chinook. Does anyone have any thoughts on that?

Columbus sounds good, I like the green bullet suggestion. Went and bought some this weekend to make it happen.

I just got done brewing this today. I ended up using warrior as the bittering.

Would there be any potential harm or benefit to leaving it in for 3 weeks and dry hopping for 7 days? Im a new brewer, but 2 weeks seems like a short time

I just got done brewing this today. I ended up using warrior as the bittering.

Would there be any potential harm or benefit to leaving it in for 3 weeks and dry hopping for 7 days? Im a new brewer, but 2 weeks seems like a short time

Two weeks is short, leave it 3 weeks minimum

So i couldnt find any whole galaxy hops for the dry hopping so i got 3 oz pellets. Do i need to scale that back at all considering the recipe called for 3 oz of whole hops?

I'd only use one oz. I usually never dry hop more than a ounce to an ounce and a half in all my beers.

So I brewed this up a few weeks ago and was able to try it last weekend. Wow is it great! :D Very citrusy, but more passionfruit than grape fruit.

I followed the OP's recipe exactly, except for the fermentation times.

I left it in primary for 21 days, then I racked to secondary and dry hopped for 7 week. It sat in bottles for 14 days before I chilled and drank some.

3 oz of galaxy pellets in dry hop gave this thing an awesome, huge aroma.

This was only my 2nd batch ever and I've gotten so many compliments on this beer that I know I will have to make it again soon. I'm thinking of swapping the warrior for green bullet, just to give it a try. I'm also thinking about doing a double version of this recipe.

All in all, great recipe. Thanks OP!

Latest posts

Back