Ready to bottle??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stappmusic

Reaction score
Hello,

I am a relatively new mead maker - I am on my second (almost 3rd) batch.

I have 5 gallons that has been fermenting for about a year - it is a blueberry mead. The original SG was 1.12 and is now down to 1.036 (12.7%). I used Lalvin EC1118. I realize this SG is quite high to bottle. It tastes fantastic and has a nice but not overpowering sweetness. Fermentation seems to have stopped over the last month although I think it is still outgassing. This may be confirmed by the fact that it had a slight fizz on the tongue.

Would I be insane to bottle anytime soon? I like the sweetness as is. Any ideas.

Many Thanks,

Will Stapp

If it still tastes fizzy, it's not ready. It sounds like it stalled along the way, I have meads made from ec1118 that are just under 20% abv, so it should have taken it dry.

Only dry if the yeast is properly nourished.

Sounds like a show mead but without a full recipe and method/technique that can only be a guesstimate.

Personally I wouldn't bottle it. Sounds like a recipe for bottle bombs ATM....

Recepie: In a 6 gallon carboy I started with 19 pds of dark forest honey with a gallon of fresh blueberries. I cooked the blueberries before adding them to the must. I decided to try the purist route and sterilize but use no sulfite. I fermented with to 5g packs of Lalvin EC1118.

At this point I see a few options:

1) Add more EC1118 and yeast nutrient. I would not know how much of each to add...

2) Add Potassium Sorbate to stop the fermentation. I have never done this and dont know how much to add. Also, I wonder how this will affect taste and nutrition.

3) Bottle it in champagne bottles??..

4) Wait longer?... How long would be long enough?

Many Thanks to everyone for their help.

Will

Back