Re-yeasting after 1st racking?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Satanta

Reaction score
Racked off a gallon of my current experiement. A honey/mesquite wine. Last years turned out exceedingly well.

I set it up about two weeks ago and it fermented nicely. Yesterday I racked it to help clear the sediment from the lees and the mesquite dust.

It is still way too sweet and is barely fermenting.

Trying to decide if I should let it ride for a bit or go ahead and add yeast to get it going strong again. I may need to top it up anyway so that would be a good time to add in.

It certainly won't hurt if you re-pitch. Of course that takes you back to the beginning so you will have to wait out another fermentation.

They need to make a large print hydrometer like they do with books.

Racked off a gallon of my current experiement. A honey/mesquite wine.

I set it up about two weeks ago and it fermented nicely. Yesterday I racked it to help clear the sediment from the lees and the mesquite dust.

Are you using mesquite wood/sawdust in this fermentation? Regards, GF

Are you using mesquite wood/sawdust in this fermentation? Regards, GF

I use the beans. Let them dry on the trees then run them thru the blender. Made breads and such some years ago with them in AZ. Decided to try it in wine.

Mesquite beans from different areas have different flavors...current has a cocoa or chocolate flavor. AZ was sweeter-more like a candy of some sort.

It certainly won't hurt if you re-pitch. Of course that takes you back to the beginning so you will have to wait out another fermentation.

They need to make a large print hydrometer like they do with books.

I know that they make a large scale hydrometer but its only between like 1.010 and .990 but its much easier to see. what about taking a picture and posting it? or maybe the picture is big enough to see.

Back