Re-usable bottles?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LinDanKugel

Reaction score
I recently bought a case of dark bottle beer and was planning on reusing the bottles. I just wanted to get a second opinion on this particular set of bottles. They're twist off. I've reused other brown bottles, but they were always pri-off. I'm just not sure if the capping and carbing process would be affected by the threads on the bottle.

Thanks! Your help is always appreciated!

Sorry but twist offs are no good for bottling homebrew. You'll learn to start drinking whatever comes in the best bottles!

Haha, I bought a really tasty IPA, chose this particular case because I liked the bottles, it just never occurred to me to check to see if they were twist off. Oh we'll, thanks for the reply!

I recently bought a case of dark bottle beer and was planning on reusing the bottles. I just wanted to get a second opinion on this particular set of bottles. They're twist off. I've reused other brown bottles, but they were always pri-off. I'm just not sure if the capping and carbing process would be affected by the threads on the bottle.

Thanks! Your help is always appreciated!

I guess it depends on what type of capper you have. A bench capper is required to cap twist offs. I have had good results with Michelob bottles, but I use mostly pry off bottles if I can. I just bottled 54 bocks last week and used six clear Miller high life bottles so that I could see the yeast residue and the beer color, I have used the same bottles over many times without any cap failures.

I have capped several Shock Top twist offs as well as some Yeungling, with my hand held capper. If they have the right type of neck, one that looks like the pryoff's, but wit the twist threads. (Looks very "manly", if you get my drift!) They seem to work just fine and you can still twist them off.

Back