re-pitching yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beerisyummy

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hello Fellow Brewsters,
If I were planning, say, three different ales with the same yeast, washing & re-pitching each time, and the SGs are 1.060, 1.080, and 1.100, should I progress from lightest to heaviest (in the order given)? Or the opposite? Or does it matter? What say you?

That's asking a lot of the yeast. The higher the gravity/ethanol level the greater the stress on the yeast. So start with the lowest gravity wort. 'Washing' is unlikely to be of any value. I'd divide the harvested slurry from fermentation #1 to avoid repitching after #2. Repitch as fresh as possible. Sacrificing a portion of harvested yeast slurry is standard practice with high gravity worts.

In general, lightest to heaviest, lightest to darkest, less hoppy to more hoppy. And I’m not sure the yeast will be in good shape after fermenting the 1.080 — that’s already pretty strong.

That's asking a lot of the yeast. The higher the gravity/ethanol level the greater the stress on the yeast. So start with the lowest gravity wort. 'Washing' is unlikely to be of any value. I'd divide the harvested slurry from fermentation #1 to avoid repitching after #2. Repitch as fresh as possible. Sacrificing a portion of harvested yeast slurry is standard practice with high gravity worts.
Thanks. So harvest from 1.060, divide in half and use one half for each of the two subsequent brews?

Back