Re-pitch yeast after use in beer with burnt wort taste

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nollerbrewing

Reaction score
I would like to start off by thanking everyone who post on HBT! I have learned so much in the last year and a half and I can contribute most of what I know to this forum.

I'm still working the bugs out of my new RIMS system and recently burnt a couple of batches. The good news is my last two brew days have gone more according to plan without any wort burning.

Now for the question:
The last batch of beer I burnt was a chi wheat....... everything about the beer turned out great except the up-front burnt wort taste. I would like to re-pitch the yeast that was collected from primary, but want to get some feed back from the group before I potentially wreck another batch.

Thanks for the help,
Cheers!
Mark

To say that there will be absolutely no favor contribution, I feel that I would have to have pitched on a cake with burnt wort taste. I haven't done that.

However, I have pitched a light colored/bodied lager on a cake from a schwartzbeir and had no flavor carryover from the black grains and choc malt in it. And, I did stay in a Holiday Inn Express once. :)

So, IMHO, I think you should be OK.

No idea what will happen. Except on the heels of having messed up a few batches you are going to save a few bucks on fresh yeast and take the risk?

How did you burn wort with your RIMS?

OOO let me count the ways...

1. My manifold slots couldn't keep up with wort flow and I had air in the heater/stuck sparge.
2. The heater has a relatively small power/surface area ratio.
3. My PID settings were causing the heater to jump the temp up to fast.
4...... ect

That is just a small list of bugs I've been working out in the process. The fact that I was using wheat and trying to step up the temp from 122 --> 154 with my style of heater didn't help on the first couple of tries either.

I'm really only using the heater to hold the temp and/or maybe raise the temp up 10 degrees ove 10 mins for a while until I know the limits a little better.

As with the hobby in general I have been jumping in over my head and learning the hard way! But man is it fun when things go right!

Latest posts

Back