Re/naming an existing beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Naked_Eskimo

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'm new to the forums! :mug:

I have a supremely naive question that i cant seem to find any information regarding on the net. That is, the topic of naming ones beer.

I'm a scientist, so I'm used to properly referencing somebody who did something before me. Giving credit where credit is due, essentially.

So my question is, if I brew a beer (e.g. Goat Scrotum for arguments sake), and change nothing from the recipe in Papazians book, am I/should I too call it a Goat Scrotum ale to give kudos to Papazian for the recipe, or can I call it anything I want? Somehow, it doesnt seem "proper" for me to call it a "Naked Eskimo Ale" when I had nothing to do with designing/conceptualizing the recipe.

At what point is it proper to name a brew whatever you want? Anytime you want, or only if you've made some modifications to an existing recipe?

Thanks for your insight, greatly appreciate it!
N.E.

I think this is a matter of personal philosophy, though I will point out that the recipe is only one part of the beer in your hands. You brew it, you own it :) Naked Eskimo Ale, inspired by Goat Scrotum, Brewed by the Naked Eskimo.

Now, if Charlie came to your house and brewed his recipe for you, fermented it and packaged it, then I think you'd be remiss in not giving credit where credit is due...

Interesting question. US Copyright guidlines:

"Mere listings of ingredients as in recipes, formulas, compounds, or prescriptions are not subject to copyright protection. However, when a recipe or formula is accompanied by substantial literary expression in the form of an explanation or directions, or when there is a combination of recipes, as in a cookbook, there may be a basis for copyright protection."

But then, you are not talking about republishing anything, only re-naming a beer you brewed using a recipe in a copyrighted book. If you are a scientist working on toothpaste formulation and break down everything in Crest, then use the exact same ingredients to create your own toothpaste, do you have to name it "Crest?" I think not.

I say re-name it whatever you like. Those that will drink it will have no idea what ingredients were used or in what quantities or using what techniques. It is your brew, and if you want to give Papazian credit then footnote it on the label "Based on a recipe in "The Complete Joy of Homebrewing"" or something like that.

Just my 2¢ !

You brewed it. Its your beer. Not Charlie's. Name it whatever you want. The more you brew, you will come to realize that a recipe is only a very small fraction of what makes great beer. I mean, look at all of the breweries that are freely handing out their recipes to Jamil on Can You Brew It.

Latest posts

Back