Re-hydrate yeast before pitching?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jamnich314

Reaction score
I'm looking at kits for my first brew and all of the Brewer's Best instructions I have read say NOT to re-hydrate the yeast yet "How to Brew" by John Palmer says many, many times to re-hydrate.

Which should I listen to? It seems like re-hydrating is a good idea to make sure it's not dead but I don't want to mess anything up on my first attempt.

He also says to buy dry yeast separately from what comes in the kits but I'm not sure if that's really necessary since I'm guessing the yeast that comes in kits is much better now than when he wrote his book.

I like to re-hydrate dry yeast, regardless of some instructions saying not to. It can shorten lag time to a couple hours if done right. I took to doing it in 400mL of spring water @ 90F for 30 minutes or so. Pour the yeast into the water & let sit 15 minutes. Then sanitize something to stir it in with & wait another 15 minutes. A bit longer can be good sometimes. When it forms a krausen, stir it up & pitch it.

If the kit isn't too old the yeast that came with it should be fine, although you can buy dry yeast separately if you don't want to take chances.

And rehydrate your yeast.

I always rehydrate my dry yeast.
Yooper doesn't.
We both make good beer (or, at least, I assume she does :p)

I have done dry pitching and re-hydrating and both work well, but if you want the best results, re-hydrate.

There are different reasons why it is suggested to buy new yeast.

In the old days the yeast packages with kits were small (5 grams as opposed to 11 now).
The yeast packaged was not the best quality.
The kit may have been sitting on shelves, before shipping, in a distribution warehouse, then the LHBS. You would need to look for a date on the packaging.
To use a different yeast style than what comes with a kit.

I don't use kits any more but I keep a few styles of dry yeast on hand at all times. This allows me to make a beer when I have not gotten liquid yeast or planned ahead to allow time for a starter. It would allow you to substitute yeast if you are unsure of the yeast that came with a kit.

Thanks for all your responses so far! I think I'm going to get some extra dry yeast as well, just in case. I imagine the people at the brew shop would be able to help me pick the correct yeast strain for the type of beer.

I have a question about kettles as well but will probably post that separately since it's not related to this thread.

Thanks for all your responses so far! I think I'm going to get some extra dry yeast as well, just in case. I imagine the people at the brew shop would be able to help me pick the correct yeast strain for the type of beer.

I have a question about kettles as well but will probably post that separately since it's not related to this thread.

You're welcome. As to the kettle - go big! 10 gallon + pot for a 5 gallon brew!

I always rehydrate. I get a sanitized pint mason jar, add 100ml of lukewarm water and add the yeast once my boil starts. I just loosely rest a paper towel over the top of the jar to keep stuff out of it. Between boil and chill, its usually in there for 1-2 hrs before pitching.

I always rehydrate. It may not be scientific, but it wakes up the sleeping/hibernating yeast and let's them know it's time for a sugar party!

I concur that you should always keep spare dry yeast handy. I've spilled two packs of SAFALE 05 on the floor before and didn't have any spares. The first time I scooped the yeast (and other debris) off the floor with a dustpan and pitched it. I then spent the next 2 weeks worrying that I had an infection. The beer turned out fine, but having a spare pack would have saved me the worry.

I've done both and both work. I always rehydrate nowadays just because. It doesn't add any overall length to my brew day and it gives me a warm-fuzzy that the yeast is viable.

Whether you should use the yeast in the kit or not depends on the kit. In the early days the kits were crap and probably ancient. If you've ever seen a Mr. Beer kit you know what I'm talking about. Nowadays most LHBS and online suppliers use reputable brand-name fresh ingredients.

Back