Ray Hill's Classic American Pilsner

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewMU

Reaction score
Has anybody tried this? It's brewed in Weston MO. It's made with corn and saaz hops. I've alternated this stuff with heavily hopped IPA and it actually holds it's own.
I liked it so much I'm going to try a 6-row/corn pilsner myself. It will have to be with Hallertau though - I've got a pound of the stuff, and a considerably smaller mass of cash, so Hallertau it is.

Thanks Rockfish. The mash schedule is the thing I've wondered about - I thought a protein rest might be in order. I had an almost identical grain bill in mind. I've got 4 lbs of flaked maize on order (I've seen polenta and brewers grits recommended instead of flakes), so if I make it 20% of a 10 lb bill I've got enough for another batch. I will probably hop some heavier than in the article - personally, I just can't respect a beer without a bitter finish. I'll probably try to get Saaz hops for the second go-round - I really like the peppery/spicy flavor of Ray Hill's.
My dad grew up in the 40s and 50s. His first beer was sipped from the foam on top of the steel pails of lager he'd fetch from the bar for his Mom - it might have tasted a little like this one.

If you were to use grits or polenta you'd need to incorporate a cereal mash. The flaked maize will convert just fine in a single infusion.

Back