Raw unmalted wheat?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HawkATP

Reaction score
On my most recent group grain buy, I ordered the Briess white wheat, but the seller was out of stock and shipped a sack of "raw unmalted wheat" instead! I can't return it, so I have to use it.

I typically use wheat in an american wheat beer that has 26% wheat in the grain bill. I do single infusion mashes as well, what can I expect from raw unmalted wheat and should I treat it any different than the typical malted wheat I have used in the past? Can I expect the same efficiency?

Sounds like you'll be making some Wit. I think you can get away with up to 50% unmalted wheat with 50% 2 row. Don't quote me, it's late and I'm not doing math on diastaic power and conversions. You won't get as much color as you would get from wheat malt and it may come out a little more cloudy because it's unconverted but it (theoretically) will sub out and make great beer. I've never been in your situation exactly.

You should also post your supplier to save other people from someone so shady that they ship the wrong thing and not make it right.

Will a single infusion mash work or will I need to do a step infusion?

I generally use a 135 rest for a ferulic acid rest, then either infuse or decoct to 152. I have also infused to 152 and didn't notice a large difference.

I would do a protein rest for ~20 minutes around 122-125F. This not only helps solubilize the proteins, but also aids in the lautering of the mash (i.e., less risk of stuck mash/sparge).

I generally use a 135 rest for a ferulic acid rest, then either infuse or decoct to 152. I have also infused to 152 and didn't notice a large difference.

135 is more like a protein rest, and even then it's on the high side. An acid rest should be around 104-110 to get 4VG (and then, only for German Hefes, not Wits).

Pretty much this same thing happened to me. Well not really. I ordered 20lbs of this by mistake. I can't offer any advice except that I'm currently using half a pound in recipes for head retention. I would like to find a recipe like a wit or something to use it in though. So let me know if anything comes up.

Edit: And I would also like to know how to do it correctly with the rests and stuff. I am doing BIAB.

I would do a protein rest for ~20 minutes around 122-125F. This not only helps solubilize the proteins, but also aids in the lautering of the mash (i.e., less risk of stuck mash/sparge).

135 is more like a protein rest, and even then it's on the high side. An acid rest should be around 104-110 to get 4VG (and then, only for German Hefes, not Wits).

ferulic acid rest: This is a little different from the regular acid rest as this rest is primarily for the generation of ferulic acid which wheat beer yeasts convert to 4VG, the phenolic character of Bavarian Wheat beers.

PseudoChef said:

This.

Museums sometime use a raw wheat paste for glue. Skip the protein rest in your mash and you'll find out why. I've done wit beers when I was still mashing with a cooler. It's certainly possible with multiple infusions, but can be a bit of a pain if you've never done that before. Make your initial infusion a bit thick, then stir in your next infusion after the protein rest. You'll be fine.

Shame on the vendor, though.

Back