RAW honey and potassium metabisulfite

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pgenius

Reaction score
I've made plenty of meads before, but when making a raw honey mead, I typically don't use anything but water and the raw honey because I've been afraid of damaging this natural, nutrient-dense honey. For those of you that don't know exactly what raw honey is, check this link out http://www.benefits-of-honey.com/raw-honey.html

That being said, I was wondering if I would do any harm to the raw honey by adding potassium metabisulfite (aka campden tablets) to my must 12-24 hours before pitching my yeast? I've been careful in the past not to heat (pasteurize) the must when using raw honey to more than 100*F (just enough to blend the honey/water together). I'm thinking that the potassium metabisulfite won't harm this kind of honey, but I wanted to make sure.

Cheers! :mug:

Is that even necessary though? I was under the impression that wild yeast, bacteria can't live in honey.

Just my .02, of course, but I don't see a reason to use the chemicals. All honey is somewhat anti-microbial in nature, and shouldn't be supporting much of a fermentation without WAY too much water mixed in. Even if there is a bit of active fermentation, there's no way it would stand up to the commercial, competitive yeast you're introducing into your must.

Is that even necessary though? I was under the impression that wild yeast, bacteria can't live in honey.

That is correct. Honey has antibacterial properties. This is also why I've never done anything to it in the past when making mead. I think I'll just clean/sanitize the fermenter per usual and then pitch the yeast. Thanks!

I think it's called osmotic pressure? There is not enough water in the honey to support any sort of life. Spores I think can hibernate(?) in it. But cannot hatch in the acidic, alcoholic environment after fermentation.

I don't know that sulfiting the must would necessarily harm the honey. I suppose it might give an additional degree of protection against unwanted organisms in the ferment. But many people simply mix the honey with the water and let it ferment. You could even try to let wild yeasts ferment it, though I have tried that a few times and it just simply wouldn't start bubbling until I added yeast.

My honey supplier told me that right, normally honey contains too little water for the organisms to multiply. He said to keep the honey container tightly closed between uses so it doesn't absorb water from the air. He mentioned a percentage of water that then would let the honey spontaneously ferment if wild yeasts are present.

I typically do not add k-meta unless I have fresh fruit being added, or as I prepare to bottle. Though I have read that others simply do not use it at all other than for sanitizing purposes.

Back