Raspberry wheat secondary question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BMGfan

Reaction score
Hey guys quick question:

I've had a Raspberry wheat in secondary for two weeks now and it's time to rack onto 6 pounds of frozen raspberries I bought. Should I thaw the raspberries first? Or dump the frozen raspberries into the carboy and rack onto them?

IF understand correctly the yeast will just go dormant when it gets too cold until the carboy warms back up to temp if I dump them in frozen right?

Thanks guys :)

If the rasberries are whole you'll need to chop them up just not too much or you'll get a lot of tannin bitterness. I would thaw them while soaking them in vodka to sanitize. Also, be aware the sugars from the rasberries will create a second fermentation. Lastly, I would use some pectin to avoid a haze in the finished product.

I have done a couple ale brews with whole raspberries. I always thaw and sanitize the 3 or 4 lbs of fruit with a cup of vodka and then add them to the carboy first through a funnel. Being you are using 6 lbs. you may use more vodka. I pour the vodka over a small portion of berries, stir and then strain to re-use the same vodka to sanitize the next portion. If I get to a point to where I do not get any more vodka from straining, I will add more vodka to the next portion.Since they have been frozen, they will just be mush after they thaw so no reason to cut them up. I always freeze them to breakdown the cells and always thaw before using.
Then I add an airlock and let them ferment out for a week. I do not add pectin and never have haze. It's crystal clear.

Back