Raspberry puree effect on abv?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Generally speaking, fruit doesn't add a noticeable amount of alcohol, in part because water is added in high enough amounts to balance things out. So, for example, based on the information on that package, there are 13 G of sugar per 140 G of puree, or about 130 G per package, that package has roughly 3 pounds of puree, so if you add the whole thing you're adding almost 3 pounds of other stuff for about 1/4th of a pound of sugar. If anything, adding the puree will slightly decrease your ABV, but by exactly how much is hard to determine without lab testing.

Looks like 13 grams of sugar per 1/2 cup.

1 gallon = 16 cups.

13 grams x 16 cups = 208 grams of sugar per gallon.

1 lb of table sugar (454 grams) will give a gravity of 1.046 when diluted in 1 gallon of water.

Therefore the gravity of your juice is 1.021. If your beer has a higher OG than 1.021, adding this will lower the effective OG of your beer, and lower the final alcohol.

Generally fruit does not add to the alcohol of a beer. I tend to ignore the sugar content of the fruit/juice, and assume it is alcohol and gravity neutral (usually not enough to make too much difference), and work from the original OG and FG readings.

Adding 1 gallon of juice will be similar to adding 7 ozs of plain sugar. (half gallon = 3.5 ozs sugar, etc).

If anything, adding the puree will slightly decrease your ABV, but by exactly how much is hard to determine without lab testing.

No lab test required. You can calculate it from the OG and volume + juice and juice volume = new gravity. Then calculate abv as usual with FG measurement.

You are correct, it will reduce the final abv.

No lab test required. You can calculate it from the OG and volume + juice and juice volume = new gravity. Then calculate abv as usual with FG measurement.

You are correct, it will reduce the final abv.

Hrrrm, I hadn't heard of anything like that before and I've asked around before without a response, but I'm trying to figure out how that makes sense exactly. Why would you add together the wort OG and juice OG? Wouldn't you average the two with volume being a factor?

Hrrrm, I hadn't heard of anything like that before and I've asked around before without a response, but I'm trying to figure out how that makes sense exactly. Why would you add together the wort OG and juice OG? Wouldn't you average the two with volume being a factor?

Example:

Assume I have 5 gallons of beer that had an OG of 1.060, an was adding 0.5 gallons of juice with a gravity of 1.030.

Total gravity points = (5 gallons x 60) + (0.5 gallons x 30) =315 gravity points.

Divide total points by new volume = 315 / 5.5 = 57 (to nearest whole number). Therefore effective OG of combined wort/beer = 1.057.

When fermentation is complete, calculate abv as normal, using 1.057 as the OG.

This is good to know as I currently have an attempt at cloning Dogfish Head's Fort in the fermenter and was wondering what affect the Raspberry purée would have on the beer!

Back