Raspberry Pi and SSR's?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jd-santaclarita

Reaction score
I was hoping someone could help me understand what is needed for the RPi to drive a 20 or 30amp SSR. I haven't been able to find a simple writeup on the topic and the info I have found is all different methods. For instance, I've seen someone on this board use a Jeera output plug option as part of the ssr driving solution, but I'm not sure why? or if that is needed. Is the GPIO output enough to drive 1 or 2 SSR's for simple functionality such as reading temperature of 1-wire probe and then if its too hot or cold signal the SSR to switch on via GPIO.

Any advice around this would be really helpful. The world of pi is quite confusing if you don't know what your looking for I'm finding out.

Thanks,
JD

Thanks. I ended up trying it out today. Connected up my 40A SSR to the RPi (3vDC+ input on SSR to RPi gpio pin 14, DC- on SSR to RPi GROUND pin). SSR connected to 120v power that feeds a receptical. Toggled the RPi pin 14 on and off to turn my garage radio on and off. Seems to work. I'm assuming the wiring of SSR dc- to RPi GROUND is correct?

Thanks,
JD

Thanks. I ended up trying it out today. Connected up my 40A SSR to the RPi (3vDC+ input on SSR to RPi gpio pin 14, DC- on SSR to RPi GROUND pin). SSR connected to 120v power that feeds a receptical. Toggled the RPi pin 14 on and off to turn my garage radio on and off. Seems to work. I'm assuming the wiring of SSR dc- to RPi GROUND is correct?

Thanks,
JD
Yes, that is correct.

Back